Curing Heat Source Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing Heat Source Question

I have assembled my pizza oven and I am at the point ready to go through the curing process. Provided I control the internal oven temperature adequately, is there any reason I could not use a propane burner source to do this. I am considering two options besides wood, a propane fired ring for a cooking paella, and renting a tiger torch to create the heat source. Has anyone done something like this?

Oh, the pizzaa oven is a Forno Bravo Premio2G100. cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by joes View Post
      I have assembled my pizza oven and I am at the point ready to go through the curing process. Provided I control the internal oven temperature adequately, is there any reason I could not use a propane burner source to do this. I am considering two options besides wood, a propane fired ring for a cooking paella, and renting a tiger torch to create the heat source. Has anyone done something like this?

It is possible, but there are some cautions. We use the commercial burner to cure ovens sometimes.

The flame should not touch the dome, direct flame contact is too hot and can crack the dome.

You don't want gas pressure to build up and turn your oven into a bomb, so be cautious about putting the door in while curing.

Also, you don't want gas to accumulate while in the oven without being converted into fuel. For example our commercial burners come through the floor and the gas / oxygen mixes below the oven chamber so gas doesn't enter the oven except as it burns at the burner head. Depending on what you use, if the mix is occurring in the oven it can be dangerous.

Still monitor temperature during the cure, if the oven gets too hot too early in the cure process, the steam will try and release across all layers simultaneously and potentially crack the oven dome.

Curing with gas could potentially void the warranty, but it is doable. The advantage with the Premio is the dome is commercial grade and its' thickness can more readily stand up to mistakes in the cure process.

Here is a curing article you should read.

You can find Forno Bravo instructions for curing your pizza oven. It is critical to your pizza oven's performance. Check it out all the details and tips.
      Forno Bravo

Comment

Working...
      X