New Atlanta WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Atlanta WFO

I am just starting the very initial planning process of building my WFO. My first decision is where to build it. My idea was to build it up to the opening of my covered porch. Obviously I will have to contend with the proximity of the chimney to the porch roof/gable and building a taller base to get the opening at a workable height of the porch. IF needed, I could move the oven out a few feet and build some steps down to match the steps that are right next to this location. With 1 foot wide step plus landing width plus entry depth, that should put the vent at about 3 feet from the face of the gable? I really don’t want to plan a chimney any higher than needed to get the smoke from going right under the porch roof. Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFO location.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	382887

Name:	Right side view.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	947.1 KB
ID:	382888

Name:	Face on view.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	760.1 KB
ID:	382889

Name:	Test 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	382890
    Last edited by weaselorlando; 11-07-2015, 02:03 PM. Reason: added photo

I think there is something call the 2-10 rule, ie chimney is 2 feet higher than any portion of a building within a 10 feet radius and a min.3 feet above roof line. Local codes may be different so I would suggest you find out from the local building and zone what your requirements will be with the chimney so close to your porch structure. Better to ask them during the planning phase.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 11-08-2015, 09:43 AM. Reason: typos
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have come across those numbers before. I may try to move the oven back away from the porch to get a little more space from the porch. I don't think I will get 10' away. It would be close.

Comment

I agree that you will want to clear the peak of the gable of the porch by a couple of feet. That will be even important if you set the oven back the few feet that you mentioned. You don't want to smoke up that pretty stucco and it doesn't take a really high temp to distort vinyl soffit. I would check my local code and see if I could anchor an insulated pipe to the fascia board. That would bring the oven closer and it will allow for securing a fairly tall flu. If that is out of the question, I would set it back much further that the 3 feet that you mentioned. As Russell said, it is best to check the local code. That may mean getting a building permit.

You may have already considered this, but that section of retainer wall could be loose filled. You will want to dig down until you get to some stable soil to start your footings. Also, are you planning for an igloo or a doggie house?

Edit: I was composing a reply while you were replying.
        Last edited by Gulf; 11-07-2015, 03:31 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hello Weaselorlando

Welcome to the forum.
          I am a few miles south of you in Macon. Had to drive to Atlanta for most of my supplies. I can give you some addresses if you need them.

Have you considered moving the oven to the side on the left of the steps..

David

Comment

Here is a solution you might consider. It allows the oven to be placed under cover, but eliminates the need to penetrate the ceiling and roof.

Name:	Tessa and Leighs oven jpg.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	382905 Click image for larger version

Name:	Stu and Laras oven.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	382906

Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What would it take to support an oven on the corner of deck? I would guess adding a 4th column directly under the base would be needed and then beefing up the joist?

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	382936

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	644.7 KB
ID:	382935
              Last edited by weaselorlando; 11-09-2015, 10:48 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

Depends on the weight of the oven.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X