Using both single and double wall vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using both single and double wall vent

As I see it, my vent pipe will have 4 sections (my oven will be under the eave of my patio roof:

1. Where it attaches to the oven and is inside the enclosure.
    2. After it exits the enclosure it will be in open air until it reaches the ceiling.
    3. Where the pipe is inside the ceiling and roof.
    4. Above the roof

Clearly I need the duratech double wall pipe for #3. What about the other legs? The double wall stuff is pricey so if there's a section that doesn't require it, it would be nice to save some money. One other important piece of info: all of the exposed pipe will be rained on and open to the elements.

you need it everywhere inside the enclosure for certain. hard to keep track of what you need outside if you start a new thread for every question. Easier to get consistent responses if you keep all your questions to one build thread.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Should I start a build thread even if I'm still in the planning stages? I don't want to pollute the board with all my questions. I wasn't sure what the board etiquette was for this sort of thing.

Comment

I know I started my build thread a month or two before I began working on the oven. It let's you ask questions and keep all your thoughts in one spot, and someone might see an idea to help you out if it is all in one place. You might still need to ask direct questions in another thread from time to time if you don't get the info you need. I know i had to do that.

Randy

Comment

I've seen some who did their planning in their build thread. And, I've seen a few who had a separate planning thread. Once the planning was done, they provided a link in their last post to the new build thread. Either way helps keep followers interested and their thoughts organized. IE: For someone just coming into the discussion, the question in this thread would have been better paired with the visuals in your Help me pick between two designs thread . If it were me, I think that I would keep that one rolling, at least until I broke dirt

Now, back to business. How much distance is there between your enclosure and your ceiling? With stock sized sections of piping: Is it even feasible to switch from double, to single, and then back to double again?

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks guys. Being a newb, I appreciate the lesson in board etiquette. I like the idea of making the "pick between 2 designs" my planning thread and then linking to my build thread.

The distance between enclosure to ceiling is 23". I guess one upside of that section being double wall is that it wouldn't be dangerous to touch, right? While it's unlikely that someone touches up there I do have little kids. And little kids are unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by terdferguson View Post
              Thanks guys. Being a newb, I appreciate the lesson in board etiquette. I like the idea of making the "pick between 2 designs" my planning thread and then linking to my build thread.

The distance between enclosure to ceiling is 23". I guess one upside of that section being double wall is that it wouldn't be dangerous to touch, right? While it's unlikely that someone touches up there I do have little kids. And little kids are unpredictable.

You are right on about the kids (and a lot of adults) . But, not only that. Your local building codes or you insurance provider may require that you convert to double wall well before entering the ceiling. Imo, 23" is not enough room to even worry about converting back and forth.

Also, you will only be a "newbie" or a few short days. Then, I hope that you will be "one the ones" who help keep "passing it foward" .
              Last edited by Gulf; 01-21-2016, 06:23 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Didn't mean for it to be a lesson. I think the new forum format has kind of screwed up the way the community worked. But for those of us with a short attention span, it's nice to have the continuity of all the past posts in a single thread

FWIW - I think the vent pipe is (at least in my case) the most expensive single component of any build. It's a tough one to suck up but I don't think there are a lot of alternatives unless you a) go with a clay flue or b) are lucky enough to find it used or surplus.

It's rarely on sale - though I did see it for 5% off through the end of the month at ventingpipe dot com

edit: Actually, the best deals seem to be on ebay. There is a seller on there called "unbeatablesale" that has the best prices.
                Last edited by deejayoh; 01-22-2016, 12:16 PM.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks deejayoh. Yes! It's incredible how much the vent pipe will end up costing. I have to run up through the ceiling and then a good ways above the roof to meet the 2' above any roof within 10' because of proximity to my neighbors roof. That's a good deal of duratech I'll be buying.

Comment

If you beef things up, you can go all masonry. It is a lot of work but, it's cheaper .

Comment

Working...
                    X