Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started digging, stopped digging. Water problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Started digging, stopped digging. Water problems.

Originally posted by krosskraft View Post
    Why do they want the oven so far from the house?
    The owner wants to create another living area in the yard. He has plans for a pergola in the general area also, possibly gardens. I understand how he's imagining it, but I too think it's a mistake to put it so far away. It will limit the use of it after the initial newness wears off.

Maybe the water situation is actually a good thing. Gives us time to rethink.

Comment

My death has been greatly exaggerated...

Though I've not been heard from for over a year that doesn't mean I went away. Here's a shot from this weekend. This thing may actually get completed within the next twenty years or so.

Comment

Looks good! How did you decide to do the foundation?
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

We dug deep....about 22". Filled with trap (?) rock, compacted. Drainage pipe in at about 12" down or so. Rock came up to about ground level.

Then the pour....this was last year, in the fall.

Comment

Seems we're limited to 4 images per post? Here's the fifth:

The slab made it through the winter. I was able to lay the cement blocks without having to do any leveling. Either I placed the form correctly last year, or the gods were kind to me and made the needed adjustments over the past 6 months.

Comment

You don't need the sonotuble below the visible part. Unless the hole is caving in on you, just can just fill it directly with concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
                You don't need the sonotuble below the visible part. Unless the hole is caving in on you, just can just fill it directly with concrete.
                Are you in the right thread sir? I'm not sure if we were asking / talking / mesmerizing about sonotubles......

But of course you are welcome here. We all are. 'Cuz we're cool like that.

Comment

Minor Progress over last weekend

Some of the platform pour floor is in, steel just laid over the top to see if we have enough. Still deciding if we'll be pouring a ledge over the front etc before the outside form gets built. Bricks stacked in front to get the visual.

Comment

Working...
                  X