Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small mobile oven (Is this design feasible?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will certainly give that some consideration. My primary goal is to create a very light oven but at the same time I wouldn't want to build something that isn't going to last. I will do some calculations and work out the weight difference and see what I come up with. Given that I have just reduced the insulation to 50mm all round I have saved a bit of weight, not just from the insulation but being able to make the stand and outer shell smaller, so even with an increase in thickness of the castable the different might not be too dramatic.

The terrain I will be moving the oven around on will be a combination of concrete and pavers. There are no dramatic height transitions between the different surfaces and the pavers are relatively level however I think I should definitely keep looking for larger diameter castors if I end up adding any more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Hi Allan, Your plan seems doable but a couple of observations. 1. You don't seem to have included the weight of a supporting slab. in your calculations or are you placing the calsil directly on the stand? 2. I'd say one roll of blanket will be quite sufficient. 3. Don't know how fibreglassing against the lumpy surface of ceramic blanket will go. 4. If mounting the whole thing on castors make sure you have at least two of them lockable. 5. 140 Kg sounds like a lot. How thick are you making the dome? Remember that the heat takes around an hour/inch to penetrate. Most cast ovens are around 2" thick. All up my 21" oven weighs 250 Kg, my mobile version (which is the same size), that I roll on and off my trailer is around 180 Kg because I pinched as much weight wherever I could. Now in hindsight I'm sure I could manage to move 250 Kg but it might be too much for the thin floor on my trailer. See pics
      Sorry for jumping in on an old thread, Ive been looking for any detailed build instructions/thread on David S small mobile oven.

Comment

Working...
      X