Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low dome - securing of first upright bricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low dome - securing of first upright bricks?

I'm going to build a low dome oven, but I don't know if I somehow has to secure the first upright course of bricks against the pressure from the dome top? I have seen a couple of designs in the forum were you see a steel entrance, with steel band around the upright bricks. Can anyone help? Br. macyespr

Low domes are not very common on this forum but Larry P is building one right now. Due to the nature on a low dome and soldiers the inherent force in the soldiers is outward as well as down. I have see some older low dome builds where the bolstered the soldiers with a concrete ring that was filled with v-crete something like the attached pic. I do not know who's oven this is but you get the idea.

Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi UtahBeehiver. Thank you for your post. I have seen the solution with a concrete ring around, but I haven't seen it in the different plans in this forum and neither in the e-book "pompeii oven" from Forno Bravo. Br. Jesper

Comment

Hi there Macyespr. From what I can see I think you would be best off with the steel entry and support bands. You will lose a lot of your heat through the concrete retaining ring even if you fill the void with vermicreete. Or at least that is my thoughts. There are a few low dome builds on the site and the current one would be a good place to start. As it has been very well thought out and built.

Randy

Comment

I am not sure you would lose any significant heat through the V-crete band since I assumed it would still be insulated with ceramic fiber insulation. The support band is just that, if anything it would add some thermal mass but is does need to be insulated from the hearth.Steel support bands are a good option as well but steel and fire brick have different expansion ratios so care must be taken into consideration. Additional masonry supports is common and required on most barrel design ovens which have a similar arch loading issue of a low dome. Do a search on barrel ovens and look at the support designs.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Sorry I had envisioned the support ring tied into the support slab. And thought it would be like a huge heat sink. If it was on the under oven insulation then it is just added thermal mass.

Randy

Comment

To both Randy and Russell - thank you for your info. Since Russells post about the V-crete I have thought about my construction. I will make sure that the V-crete ring also will be covered with fiber insulation. I just wonder why they don't mention the issue in the e-book. But tha

Comment

Well technically the low dome is a separate type of oven. So the planes were made for the Pompeii oven. It is very similar in construction so you can still kind of use the planes with modifications. With the planes being almost free. They use to be. You can't expect them to cover all possible design options. That is where looking through the build threads comes in and helps you decide how you want to build yours.

Randy

Comment

Here is a link to LarryP's build thread. See post 23 where he shows the metal hoops that integrate into his door, that help hold in his soldier course in place. You might want to shoot him a PM and pick his brain.
                  My build thread
                  https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

And "pick his brain" I love that Br Jesper

Comment

I have decided to mount a pair of treaded rod. When I have mounted the soldiers, I will put 2 metal strips around the soldiers, and fasten them to the treaded rod, and in that way give the soldiers the desired strength! Br Jesper

Comment

Working...
                      X