Angle Iron at oven vent opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle Iron at oven vent opening

The materials list for 36" build calls for 2 pieces of angle iron to be used at the oven opening. I can't see how and what the steel is supporting and how it would look finished. Does anyone have pics or suggestions? This is my first build. I'm finished with insulating hearth and looking ahead. Thanks.
    Attached Files

I am presuming you are talking abt the FB Pompeii plans. Remember these plans are a baseline and a little outdated. I would look at some of the more recent builds on the forum for current innovations or go to the Newbie section under the treasure archives to see some of the more documented pompeli builds.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I believe the plan calls for one piece of angle iron to span an opening under the hearth, if your stand is open for storage. I didn't use any in mine - just plenty of rebar in that area. The other piece is for the top of the arch/oven opening, if you decide to go that way. A hemispherical or curved arch does not use any angle iron.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

you only need the angle iron if you're using CMUs for the span. Concrete reinforced with rebar is plenty strong enough without angle iron.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. Your pictures are very helpful. Now Ican clearly see how the arched opening joins the dome. I'm going to use your style. Another question: Does the IT eliminate the need for multiple shims placed in each course of bricks?

Comment

No the IT is just a gide tool. You still need a shim or spacer to hold the bricks where you want them. I used wire nuts as spacers for mine. That worked out great for me.

Randy

Comment

For me, the IT eliminated the need for shims. I just buttered up the underside of my brick, placed the topside against the bracket of the IT, and "smooshed" the brick down on top of the lower course making sure I kept contact with the inner and top edges of the IT. I started out using a clamp to hold the brick to the IT, but later found with the right mortar consistency I did not need to use the clamp and it was adding work and time. You can see the clamp setup in the pic below, and how the mortar squeezed out leaving no room or need for shims. There are lots of ways to build an oven, you just need to decide what works for you. I did notice that it looks like in Randy's picture the IT is only setting the brick at the proper circumference of oven, and not setting angle. With the way I placed my IT (centered and at floor level) and the shape I wanted my dome I was able to take advantage of all it's locating abilities.
              My build thread
              https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Jr you are right. I did not completely understand what I was doing at first. Then mrchipster stopped by and set me straight. After that pic I got it to match the angle too. I still used the wire nuts as shims, but probably didn't need to.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                X