Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Around/Over Oven

Hi,

Trying to figure out how to add the expansion layer between the perlcrete and exterior stone. I also wanted to know how others were able to build up and around their ovens. I want to build up just like the fireplace next to it.

Thanks in advance.

The perlcrete itself will act as an expansion layer provided you don't make it too rich.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

What do you suggest? 5:1 or 10:1?

Comment

10:1, but if there is any that's going to be exposed or subject to wear cover the surface of that part with 5:1

Comment

From a structural POV would I be better off building up with block or use steel studs to create this look or will the verm crete supporti t?

Comment

If it were mine and I planned to have that kind of decorative finish, i's use 10:1 vermicrete over the insulation blanket and then around one inch of 5:1 over that to which you can mortar your decorative stone directly onto.

Comment

I'm starting tomorrow morning. I'll build around with 4" block. I'll then use steel angle iron for strength. My bluestone cap will then have support

Comment

So I put the blanket on then a 7:1 mixture over it completely. I don't know if you see the angle iron on the top of the blocks. I want to pour a slab on top of the block that's supported by the angle iron. Would that put a lot of weight on the oven? Should I pour it on the ground in two pieces and lift them up. A friend suggested pouring above. The concept is ok but he's not getting the loose mix will lay on the top of the oven.

Another question, the 7:1 mixture is still damp. It's hard but damp. The bottom sides of the oven show a moisture line as well. Should I leave it uncovered and air dry or a fire with the cans of starter?

Comment

It will take months for that vermicrete to dry without fires. It's like a pile of wet sand that may be dry on the exterior, will remain damp underneath for months. Don't enclose it at top, continue to fire the oven until no moisture condenses on the underside of a sheet of plastic if thrown over it during firing. Keep the rain off it too, so cover it if it looks threatening.

Comment

So I'll use a few of the gel cans. I've yet to start a fire. What are your thoughts on the slab on top? Do you think if I poured it in place, it wouldn't be supported by the angle iron, but the oven itself. I understand what was suggested but the weight has to sit somewhere before drying.

lost as to finishing the top. Open to suggestions.

Comment

Hopefully2 more days. This site is AMAZING. I wouldn't be thisf ar without it.

Comment

Working...
                      X