Start to Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start to Finish

How long did it take to build your oven?

1) Just the oven.
    2) Total project includeing enclouseing your oven?
    3) Kitchen package, with WFO includeing counters ect.

Days, weeks, months, years or still not completed.

Would like to here from all WFO builders. If you had it built. How long did it take a pro.

Mannextdoor

Re: Start to Finish

1) Just the dome itself (excluding the slab, stand, support & insulating slabs)
    4 1/2 weeks (basic dome/entry to render coat - 1 wk; cover to cure - 1 wk; 2 1/2 weeks to cover in mosaic tile)

2) I did an igloo, no enclosure. Start to finish (foundation slab to completely finished - including finishing the base and mosaic tile on the dome) - 3 months

3) Mine is completely separate from my outdoor kitchen area which was done 5 yrs ago

RT

Comment

Another poll, huh? XJ - what have you started???

My answer to 2): 5 1/2 months for the oven, start to finish, many pauses for weather and concrete curing to the point it could be polished. You could probably do the oven in a 6 - 8 weeks or less with good weather, good logistics, and eight hours a day. There's some built in pauses for concrete curing where you can't do a thing.

3) I'm in stall mode on the kitchen. Fixed income, taxes coming, BBQ to buy- I'm hangin' loose for another month till I re-evaluate finances.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

About the same here. Couple of weeks for the oven, couple of months with the stand and iglu finish etc - while taking care of three kids and including numerous breaks for weather. Looking back it went quite fast...
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Finish? <pages through dictionary> Wazzat?
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I received my oven kit (Casa 100) in September, had the first curing fires last part of November, and declared it finished December 22.

Comment

Weekend 1. Slab 1 day to dig and form work + 1 day to pour and finish
              wait 3 weeks to cure
              Weekend 2. Stand 1 day to stack the concrete blocks (several times) + 1 day to hollow fill
              Weekend 3 and 4. Hearth - 2 days to form work + 1/2 day to pour
              wait 2 weeks to cure
              Weekend 5. Build barrel and first fire clay render
              Weekend 6. Blanket, chicken wire and vermeculite/cement render
              wait 2 weeks and small fires
              Weekend 7 render with sand/cement/oxide
              Weekend 8 oven declared finished

Still to do is complete stand rendering / painting, AND

Re-render the oven due to the "crack"

All up to build was about 3 months of weekends. More than enough as nothing else got done around the house on the weekend and the wife was getting pissed!

Pizza last night with friends was great!

Comment

In Australia, when we get pissed we are usually very happy. If my wife is pissed it's because she's drunk too much Sauv Blanc.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I wonder if you ever finish...I finally built a door for the wood storage underneath (recycled an old door) and got the tap installed at the sink.

...wondering how best to store the tools

....thinking about extending the chimney, but what will look good?

....retrofit for temp probe and/or a light

...night lighting.....

I think the better question is "How soon can I cook pizza with my new oven?"

sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

WEhat about "how do imotivate myself to finish the outside once I've started cooking in it?"
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

This is a really good thread, so I have move it to Getting Started. I think this can help new builders do a better job of planning.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I want to thank everybody for their input. I find it very encouraging. I am not a mason. It’s all very new to me. I am pretty handy and have done about everything else in my life. I think this is going to be great project and a lot of fun. Just wanted to get a feel for a time frame. I was hoping that it could be completed in time to use this fall. Sounds as though it will be possible.
                        Thanks again. I hope more members decide to weigh in.

Mannextdoor 5P's

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                          Another poll, huh? XJ - what have you started???

My answer to 2): 5 1/2 months for the oven, start to finish, many pauses for weather and concrete curing to the point it could be polished. You could probably do the oven in a 6 - 8 weeks or less with good weather, good logistics, and eight hours a day. There's some built in pauses for concrete curing where you can't do a thing.

3) I'm in stall mode on the kitchen. Fixed income, taxes coming, BBQ to buy- I'm hangin' loose for another month till I re-evaluate finances.
                          I have started a WFO project, with a complete outdoor kitchen. I am in the preperation stage. Clearing out an area to make room. I will start a thread soon and post plenty of pictures. A play by play, Start to Finish.

Mannextdoor

Comment

mannextdoor,
                            The time frame really depends on prior planning and staging of materials, how much money you can afford to throw at the oven at any given time, and how much time you have to work on it. If you had a couple of masons working for you, they could do the whole thing in a couple of weeks.
                            GJBingham
                            -----------------------------------
                            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by mannextdoor View Post
                              I am not a mason. It?s all very new to me. I am pretty handy and have done about everything else in my life.

Sounds to me as if you've got ideal qualifications for this project...

Comment

Working...
                              X