X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fnbroken
    replied
    Thanks Toomulla,

Current design is approx. 2m x 2m corner, although I am thinking l like the look of the hearth that extends over the stand. That is, the foundation to be 1800x1800 with stand directly on top - thus leaving a surround of 200mm on the front 3 sides...

For ease - I was going to get a sheet of 9.6mm welded mesh (6m x 2.4m with 200mm squares) which would do the foundation and hearth - plus a couple lengths of rebar for the uprights (inside the besser blocks) and over the entry arch of the stand which I plan to pour. Would I need extra lengths of rebar in the actual foundation and hearth in addition to the rio?

Leave a comment:

• Toomulla
    replied
    Assuming that your slab is similar to most I.e approximately a 1500 span 12 mm bar at 200 mm both ways would be plenty , most of the weight is around the edge close to the block supports

Leave a comment:

• fnbroken
    started a topic Reinforcing Steel Bar / Mesh (Rebar/Rio) advice

Reinforcing Steel Bar / Mesh (Rebar/Rio) advice

Hi all,

Reading a lot of threads here at the moment with some significantly varying degrees in the type and quantity of reinforcing steel being used in the foundations/stand/hearth - either mesh or rebar or combination - and the size/thickness of it.

Can anyone point me to, or provide qualified advice, on guidelines to ensure structural integrity?

Lol... I get better safe than sorry (and I'm not known to shy away from over engineering) but I also know backyard warriors tend to over do it, and in forums this can become the norm. Steel is very expensive here (because we are dumb enough to dig iraw material out of the ground, ship it to another country where the steel is made, and then ship it back) so just want to do what's needed.

TIA!
Working...
X