It begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It begins!

How about functionality. It seems to be useful to me to have two separate compartments. Since I am a follower and not an innovator, I an worried that I haven't seen this on the forum. Perhaps there is something obvious I am over looking. Is there anyone who is glad they have a very deep wood storage area?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

I built mine the standard way. I can see why you are considering it. I don't have mine full of wood yet (just tools)... I'm thinking I'll just have wood on two sides so I can access it. It is hard to reach all the way in the back.

I couldn't do what you're doing since I didn't want it facing my neigbors house. I don't see that it would be a problem I would see what the "elders" say

I say go for it!
      Dick

Comment

Do I even need the middle support section? If using enough rebar, could I just have a slab supported on the sides, with both ends open?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

We've seen at least two open-on-both-ends bases, but they both had bigger than one block supports on the sides
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I better be safe, and stick with the plans
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Mike, most of us are amatures so following the plans is good. On your second and third ovens you can look at variations!

If I were to use the two wall supports like you were thinking, I'd consider doing the following : make sure to fill all the block cores, use rebar in all cores, tie in the core rebar to the hearth, use plenty of rebar in the hearth, use bigger rebar across the span and use higher strength concrete (6 sack a yard concrete was only $6 or about 4% more expensive than 5 sack). This would not be that much more expensive to build than the standard plan.

When I look at building techniques in other countries like Spain....or any high rise buildings made of concrete.... I marvel at these materials!
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

I mortared down the first set of block for the stand. Now I'm committed to the H shape.

Silly rookie mistake. Standard block sizes are not truly 16x8x8, but a little smaller to accommodate the mortar. I dry stacked mine, according to plans. Because the blocks do not have mortared joints, two half blocks are not the same as a full block.

As a result, I have 1/4 inch difference between the two courses. I know structurally, this is no big deal. Probably not cosmetically, either. I'm a little disappointed I didn't think about that. Any thoughts?
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Mike

How are you going to finish the stand?

A 1/4 inch is not much of a problem. Stucco?

If you have not done the second row, just leave a gap between blocks, it does not matter structurally.

Comment

Jim,

Not sure of the final finish. A lot will depend on what's left in my budget

I can't really leave a gap right now. The bottom row is the shorter one, and that's already mortared down. It's the seconde row that's too long.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

How about cutting/grinding off the overhanging brick(s) after it's done? A cheap masonry blade will go through the block like butter, if you have a power saw that will reach halfway through the block (maybe a 10" blade?).
                      Picasa web album
                      Oven-building thread

Comment

Or just break the block end and hide the break back in the stand.....a little mortar and it will look fine!

Comment

I guess it was a non-issue. I used a combination 10" saw and angle grinder to trim off the 1/4 inch. My first brick/block cutting. I didn't realize how smooth and easy it would work. Looks fine now.
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Things are going slow. Goofing off with the kids.

The block stand seems complete. It was a pain to notch the blocks to accommodate the angle irons for the span over the openings, but finally got done and all level. I hope to fill the cores with concrete this weekend.

How do you fill the cores of the blocks that are over the open spans (those supported by angle iron)? The blocks are hollow in the bottom, nothing to hold the concrete up.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

I just used a scrap piece of 1x6 cut to length and held up to the underside with a couple of scrap 2 x 4 "legs". nothing fancy required. After it sets, knock out the 2x4s and the 1 x 6 dropps to the ground.........your done.

RT

Comment

I did the exact same thing (other than being a 2x6 - old decking)

Les...
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X