Indoors or Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoors or Out?

Hey everybody!I'm new to the forum and to home ownership and have decided to definitely build myself an oven.My new home has a woodstove and I'm considering replacing it with my oven.Any info,experiences,etc regarding living with an indoor oven would be greatly appreciated.TIA!

John

Re: Indoors or Out?

Certainly there are indoor ovens....most I've seen have some form of ventilation as you're sure to have some smoke. Most we see are outdoors because I think it's easier and less hassels with permits and saftey.

If you go indoors, maybe a post on the bulld would be helpful to others.

X
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Hi, John, Welcome.

There are some difficulties with indoor ovens. They are much heavier than woodstoves, and mostly bigger. On an indoor oven you will have to build to code, and get a building permit. There will be massive footings, and usually a taller chimney, as you may or may not be able to use the existing flue. On the other hand, it will be more useful for more of the year.

Look around, and let us know if you have specific questions.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Is that wood stove used as a heater or a cooker?

--mr.jim
        --mr.jim
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
        unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I've been thinking that in colder climates, one advantage of building the oven indoors would be that you get full use of the heat not used for cooking as heating for the house... as the oven looses heat very slowly, your house would just be that much warmer for a few days after firing.

And speaking as somebody whose heating has packed up before spring has properly arrived, that is a very attractive idea!

And you get the smell of baking inside the house. I think that should be considered an advantage, too.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
          X