Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positioning Of Oven

Hey everyone.
    We are looking at building a oven at my girlfriends place. Her dad wants to do it on this retaining wall at the back of the house but is wrooied about a few things. First up there is the problem of water fow around the oven and the affect of water on the oven seeing as it we aren't planning on giving it additional cover. Secondly is the problem of the flue. Will we be able to design it so that it has enough ventillation? Or does it even have a chimney? I duno i should probably look at some photo's eh? Oh well. Also we are looking at what type of oven to do. an igloo style or a one with straight walls. From what i have read the igloo style allows more usage because you can heat it up quicker but he was interested in the other style. Yeah so any ideas or feedback would be great.
    thanx
    Bryn

actually, that looks like a great location. however, its seems that you'll need to extend a roof (or a canvas awning) over the landing of the oven to divert the (rain) water coming off the patio cover. you'll need to slope the landing to drain to the back as well. i wouldn't worry to much about the remainder of the oven getting wet as long as you seal any pathways into the hearth (you just don't want water on the landing). ventilation shouldn't be a problem.

edit: i just looked at the picture again and it appears that the patio cover might extend enough to cover the landing. you may just need to design the oven "exterior" in such a way to divert the remainder of the water to the back of the oven.

another edit: take a look at paulage's oven here to see how the water can be diverted to the back. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/show...=1845#post1845
    Last edited by Robert Musa; 11-30-2005, 10:05 AM.
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

Originally posted by bryn
      We are looking at building a oven at my girlfriends place. Her dad wants to do it on this retaining wall at the back of the house but is wrooied about a few things. First up there is the problem of water fow around the oven and the affect of water on the oven seeing as it we aren't planning on giving it additional cover.
      Make sure you have good waterflow. I placed my oven (pics and links to pics are in the photo forum) into a retaining wall, but I have huge waterflow in my area during the winter (we're classified as a temperate rainforest) and had to make sure that was correctly setup.

Any oven you build will have to be weatherproofed, but that doesn't take a ton and most designs offer several different approaches to it.

Originally posted by bryn
      Secondly is the problem of the flue. Will we be able to design it so that it has enough ventillation? Or does it even have a chimney? I duno i should probably look at some photo's eh? Oh well. Also we are looking at what type of oven to do. an igloo style or a one with straight walls. From what i have read the igloo style allows more usage because you can heat it up quicker but he was interested in the other style. Yeah so any ideas or feedback would be great.
      You definitely have a lot of research to do.

You will need a chimney, and therefor safe clearance from tree's etc. but it can work fine (mine is under/between 2 very large oaks after all). Igloo style or bread oven style is partially personal preference, but there is certainly the factor of how long each type takes to heat up, which is a direct function of how much thermal mass (concrete included) you have used in the construction.

I am extremely happy with my 'igloo' style oven, but it doesn't look like an igloo with the housing I've placed around it except when I peek inside.
      --
      Tarik

Comment

Igloo inside and/or outside

The dome and floor of the oven itself are round and dome, and look like an Igloo -- the basic design is virtually unchanged over 2,000 years.

Your enclosure can be anything you like -- from Jim's Dog House, to an external Igloo that follows the basic oven shape, barrel vault, stone house, brick house, stucco house, etc. The enclosure holds in the insulation and keeps out the elements.

The general rule for chimney pipe is that is should be 2' higher than anything with 10'. That's in the Duratech double wall steel chimney manual (UL103HT).

Have fun. The site looks great, with the oven facing into the patio. Nice.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Research....

Yeah you're right about that. Plenty of research to do. Especially cause we want to do this once. I'm an apprentice plumber, my girlfriend's dad is a pool steeler and the other person is a brickie so between us we should be able to manage. But in the meantime i'm going to be asking lots of annoying questions . That and I have been catching all the posts and replys from the old forum for a few months so I got plenty to read.
          Thanks everyone for the help so far.
          Bryn

Comment

Brynn
            Have you found fire bricks at reasonable cost? I live in northern Rivers Alstonville. Tricky to find around here?

Comment

Looks as though you live near Brisbane, Australia

Rollo wrote:

"Brynn
              Have you found fire bricks at reasonable cost? I live in northern Rivers Alstonville. Tricky to find around here?"

================================================== =

(M) I looked up Alstonville and it looks as though you live near Brisbane, Australia; a place where you might have some luck.

(M) There are a few Australian "mates" on this forum and I've copied their publicly offered email addresses below:

dougv:

doug@gbsolutions.com.au

===============================

rocco

roccom@alphalink.com.au

===============================

helen@handbagmillionaires.com

============================

David.Siddall@matertsv.org.au

=============================
              paul.brooking@transport.sa.gov.au

============================

Jason = (cookeetree) does not post his private email here but you can send him a private message through this forum.
              =======================================

There is also a builder, mostly of Allen Scott designed ovens, by the name of Rado Hand. His Web Site may be helpful and I think he lists his email address there:

http://www.traditionaloven.com/

==============================

(M) Lots of luck!

Ciao,

Marcel
              "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
              but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Positioning

I dug into the hillside for @ 9'. I created a retaining wall, complete with a french drain all around the oven.....and the wall is part of the base of the oven on 3 sides. The wall went on top of a rebar reinforced concrete base and the walls also were rebar reinforced with all the voids filled. It must have a flue....as far as moisture it's not been a problem. I prbably overengineered and over insulated but as I write this on 1/1/06 it's been 76 hours since I last put in a log and the oven is still showing a temp of 200F.

Comment

Working...
                X