Chimney Height Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Height Problem

I am planning to install my oven as an attachment to my kitchen ( a kind of mini "addition" to the home), which is on the first floor of a my two story home with a high pitch roof. Local building codes say I have to make the chimney extend 2 feet above any roof within 10 feet of it. As the kitchen is on the gable end of the home, this means the chimney pipe must go up about 3 stories! Does anyone have any experience with this kind of height? Will the oven vent properly? It sure won't look very good, but I may have no choice. Would it vent properly if I ignore the code and simply pop it up 2 feet above the top of the dome roof (which will be outside of, but next to, the home)?

Re: Chimney Height Problem

Welcome aboard,

I think of this as a glass half full. Your oven will definitely draw very well. The higher the chimney the better the draw.

The downside is that it might not look good, and it gets a little expensive -- buying the extra chimney sections. DuraTech comes in 48" pieces that snap together.

The top of the chimney has to be 2' higher than anything combustible within 10' -- which means you have to go all the way above your roof line. That's important, as some very hot air and smoke will go up the chimney.

Hope this is helpful (if not perfect) information.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

There really are safety concerns for extending a chimney above the roof line.
      This vents the hot, toxic gasses above your living space.

--mr.jim
      --mr.jim
      ---------------------------------------------------------------
      The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
      unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

There's a big problem with weight on that much chimney as well. 8 feet of Duravent was probably 70ish pounds. Three stories high, that's a bunch of weight on your vent! Perhaps rotate the oven so that the chimney's 10.5 feet away from the house. That would solve a lot of problems.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Well, if I am going to have the oven open into the kitchen (a must!), I have no choice but to run the duravent chimney. Does it have to be a straight shot? Or can I angle it? Are there brackets that will support the weight by attaching it to the outside of the home (it is all brick)?

Comment

Working...
          X