Is this a fire brick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a fire brick?

Is this a fire brick? Not sure if you can decided from a picture alone. It seems dense. Specks of reflective stuff and orange flakes. Found a bunch of these that I can get for free. Thanks!

can you weigh one? tough to tell from a picture
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Also, how about a wider shot that shows the entire brick and include diminsions.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I've got the same exact question. I found bricks that look like fire bricks from a photo - but he called them "glazed ceramic bricks". However, he has no idea what they are, where they came from, etc. They are in his father-in-laws yard they are cleaning out.

From the FornoBravo primer: A typical firebrick measures 9x4.5x2.5, weighs about 8 pounds and is yellow. That puts them at about .08 lbs per cubic inch.

The ones I have found are 7.75 x 3.75 x 2.25" and weigh between 5 and 5.5 lbs. That puts them at the same mass per volume as above. And they are the same color I believe (see pic).

Are these medium duty firebricks?
        Last edited by cnegrelli; 02-20-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

They may, well very be. However, If at all possibe, I would skip those based on their condition in the pic and their unsure history. If they are free, you can still use them in a fire pit or an outdoor fireplace. Also, it will take a lot more firebrick than what are in the pic to do an oven.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That is very good input. There are a lot more than shown. 156 total whole bricks, plus partials. They are basically free unless they are near perfect and then $.50. The cheapest new ones around here are $2.
            I've been leaning towards a casted oven (using sand as the guide) with a firebrick oven floor.

Comment

Good price. No guarantees from a pic, though. A cast with the proper ingredients is an excellent choice. For the floor, I would definately spring for the new 9"X4.5"X2.25". They will most likely be low duty, which is what you want for the floor.

Comment

Working...
              X