Ash slot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ash slot?

Actually, the ash slot on CJ's oven does not get in the way. It's there in the front but you are putting your peels further in, not sliding them in from the front of the landing....think about it.
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

As a newbie, I have to ask...If there's no ash chute it appears folks are using shovels or their peels to scoop out coals/ashes. Obviously they have to go into metal container...is a metal garbage can sufficient? I'm wondering if dumping hot coals into a galvanized can "trashes" the can. Does the can last? Do folks have a preference to size? shape? I imagine a medium size square-shaped can would be ideal...not too large to handle and able to hold up to landing to shovel coals into.

As I design my WFO/bbq layout I'd like to include storage spaces for wood, tools, ash can, etc. so I'd like to find out as much as I can. Thanks, Craig
      ------------------------
      "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by SpringJim View Post
        Actually, the ash slot on CJ's oven does not get in the way. It's there in the front but you are putting your peels further in, not sliding them in from the front of the landing....think about it.
        Craig,

I bought a small galvanized bucket that is about 12"w x 10"h. You could/should go a little bigger -- particularly if you are going to be working with hot coals. Cool ash burned out from a fire is very small, as the oven is very efficient at burning your wood.

It's the pans you are sliding in and out of the oven, and setting in the landing to keep warm, that tip over in the ash slot.

James
        Last edited by james; 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

My ash bucket cost seven bucks on sale. It is intended for fireplace ashes. The hot coals have burned the paint off in a couple of areas but it is a convenient spot to transfer my coals (by FB oven shovel). Forget picking it up for 24 hours. The embers stay hot for hours.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I worry a bit about that. Recently in Milwaukee we had guy that left his hot coals in his grill overnight. Next day he figured they'd be cool enough and dumped them in his garbage can next to garage. Later that night garage caught on fire. Coals stay hot long time...
            ------------------------
            "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." - Henry Ford

Comment

It's a great way to start a fire -- that is if you have a separate fireplace, or a charcoal grill where you can use the hot coals -- not in your garage. :-)
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by cplain View Post
                I worry a bit about that. Recently in Milwaukee we had guy that left his hot coals in his grill overnight. Next day he figured they'd be cool enough and dumped them in his garbage can next to garage. Later that night garage caught on fire. Coals stay hot long time...
                My neighbor a few houses down did the same thing a few years back. Pretty much got a new home. My wife cleaned out the fireplace and put the bucket right next to the wood shed - needless to say it hasn't happened again

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cplain View Post
                  As a newbie, I have to ask...If there's no ash chute it appears folks are using shovels or their peels to scoop out coals/ashes. Obviously they have to go into metal container...is a metal garbage can sufficient? I'm wondering if dumping hot coals into a galvanized can "trashes" the can. Does the can last? Do folks have a preference to size? shape? I imagine a medium size square-shaped can would be ideal...not too large to handle and able to hold up to landing to shovel coals into.

As I design my WFO/bbq layout I'd like to include storage spaces for wood, tools, ash can, etc. so I'd like to find out as much as I can. Thanks, Craig
                  just make sure the container is metal and yes, the hot coals do trash it!
                  My first ash container was an old Corona bucket but scarred by the coals.
                  Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Here are the photos of the alternative design. Sadly not my idea, got it from a building instruction CD from a guy ia OZ named Rado. The ash drops into its own chamber below and can be cleaned out from the side. The photos show the bricks around the chamber and also the sideways block and void at the side. He builds nice ovens and was very helpful when I built mine....way back then!
                    Best
                    Dutch
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
                    X