Dry stacked vs. Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry stacked vs. Mortar

What is the benefit of dry stacking the blocks for the stand as opposed to mortaring them?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Dry stacked vs. Mortar

I think it's just an easier construction methos and you still have the foundation strength needed with the filled cores....

anyone used single sized blocks in a rounded pattern?
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

The whole pompeii oven project is designed for people who never mixed mortar before. Stacking blocks and filling is something anyone can do - If you don't like how it looks, or something isn't level, you can go back and restack them before you fill the cores. Mortaring cement blocks is a difficult thing to do. You are basically setting up a thin rim of mortar on the edges of the hollow block, unlike a brick, where you are covering the whole flat surface. I built my whole internal chimney with mortared four inch blocks, as well as my internal oven base. It's not much to look at, and now I am covering it with tile. I'm frankly in awe at a mason who can lay up a wall of blocks with smooth even mortar joints. It's a commonplace thing, but it's not easy to do.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I need to build a block foundation, which will be underground. Since I've never laid mortar before, what are the chances I will be able to come out level on top. I am not concerned about the appearance (I'll bury it all in the end), but it needs to be level. What is the concern about dry stacking block for a below grade foundation? Does it allow too much water to seep in?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
        X