• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost ready to start.....

Hi guys,
    Im almost ready to start the build.
    Im a non-mason for sure.
    My wife can't believe Im actually going to do this.
    We saw an episode of a show called Inside Outside which showed a detail build of the oven.
    She turned and asked....."are you sure you can handle this all by yourself?"
    Now I know where she stands. Just wants the superior food but not the sweat.

Anyway, Im asking myself now................."Can this be done by one person?"

Any solo builders out there?

Eddie

Re: Almost ready to start.....

You can do it.
    I did have some help with mixing concrete. My wife and 11 year old daughter helped with that part. My son helped with the stacking of blocks for the stand, but for the most part..... It was my two hands, and lots of support from the family.

What ya waiting for?

Dave
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Of course it can be done by one person!!

I think most of us are more or less solo builders - the only thing I let my husband do on my oven was carry the sacks of concrete....

And if you do get stuck on anything, or anything goes wrong, you can always come here to get help/advice/encouragement/commiseration/silly comments. So you won't be entirely on your own in any case!
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Not only can a single person build an oven, it appears that even a poorly built oven cooks ok. It's kind of a no lose situation. Check the forum and you will see builds from 1 hr quick stacks to year long micro-engineered project. In the end, they all cook food just fine. Jump on in. If you are un-happy with your final product, you can always build a second one !!
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

There is a danger to building it yourself! When I finally got done my wife said "If you have that much energy, you can just come inside and gut the bathroom!"

Comment

Originally posted by chuckster View Post
            There is a danger to building it yourself! When I finally got done my wife said "If you have that much energy, you can just come inside and gut the bathroom!"
            I knew I did something wrong My wife told me to gut the bathroom and finish the remodel BEFORE I started the WFO.

Chuskster - do you do marriage counseling ?
            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I think most build by themselves but you'll probably need help here and there...

I used the 80 lb bags and I had 3 people help me for the hearth pour, took 1 1/2 hours for example...

I just remind people. "Those who help get in the front of the line for pizza. Those that laugh go to the end of the line."

I'm pretty handy with home improvement projects but have NEVER worked with concrete or brick before this project. So far so good...

Some advice - take aspirin before going to bed after working all day

Dick

Comment

Hi Fellows; I confess, I have dreamed of a outside oven for several years. I have been watching and reading for two months and fear has kept me in one place (here reading how much fun you are having). I have planned and re-planned our out door kitchen. Keeping cost down has been my goal, however,the wife wants the supreme version with outdoor frig. and the works. I had thought I would build side wings one for the gas grill and sink and the other for a large grill. My plan was to use metal studs and cement board toped with hard tile. I chose this method because I have never tried laying brick or block. I watched the video for making dough and now I am not sure if studs could take that pounding without knocking the tile loose.
                Looking at the pictures there are some great brick guys on this forum. I have some experience with hand tools should I jump in and is it easy only because of the skill level you have? One last thing, My location is in Central Alabama. I have not noticed any posting from anywhere close to the South East. Does anyone know of a project either in progress or completed in this area. I think I am looking for assurance as much as anything before I jump off the deep end.

Comment

Nandn1966,
                  You're too young for this. I assume you were born in '66? You've got at least two more years till you're ready!

Of course I'm kidding. Why don't you copy and paste this post in the Introductions Forum. Off the top of my head, there's builders/posts from NC, KY, FL, and MS relatively closeby. No worries. Everyone gives advice freely, especially if you post pics. I make bad jokes to go along with bad advice. The plans are simple. Read a few of the oven build threads and the tips/tools sections. Simple and fun. Have your wife move the bricks and mix the concrete though. That's tiring!
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

brokencookie,

No marriage counseling, but boy, do I have some stories!

Maybe they could start a new catagory WFO & Your Spouse?

Chuckster

Comment

The thing that has me wondering...

...have you noticed how it always seems to be the non-WFO-building spouse who controlls the finances? Coincidence? Or something else...?
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                      X