Hearth size for 42 inch pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth size for 42 inch pompeii

I originally posted this the other night. During the mad rush for 30K posts, it may have been overlooked (or ignored?). I wouldn't mine some feedback, so I thought I'd repost.

Thanks,
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen quite a bit of variability in the size people have used for their 42 inch Pompeii. I'd like to avoid odd sizes if able (half blocks). Some are using 4.5 x 4.5 blocks, others as big as 6x7 blocks. Obviously much of this depends on the style of enclosure. Has anyone felt they built their hearth stand too large or too small?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Hearth size for 42 inch pompeii

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Maybe a sketch, or a link to the projects that you are asking about would help me know what you're talking about.

Sorry.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Mike you say "blocks" and "hearth stand". to me that means the support stand below the insulating hearth, hearth, and dome. Most folks have been using (including myself) standard concrete block....they don't come in 4.5 x 4.5 or 6 x 7, regardless of the unit of measure; so I, like dmun, am confused.

RT

Comment

Agreed! The numbers don't match standard concrete block dimensions.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I read my post again and recognize how poorly written that question was. I apologize.

I am referring to the support stand below the hearth. I am assuming that most are using the standard 8x8x16 inch blocks (although I suppose I shouldn't assume). The numbers I gave referred to the number of blocks (dimensions of the stand).

Looking at the photos, it seems that builders are making the stands of different sizes (understandably so, with variances in finished design, etc). For example, Ken's stand appears to be 4.5 blocks by 4.5 blocks, Acoma's is 5x5 blocks, Dave's is only 4x4 blocks, Jim and David used 6x4.5 blocks. I've seen one as large as 6x5 blocks (now can't find it).

I was hoping for some feedback as to what considerations are made to choose these different sizes. Do some enclosures benefit from a larger supporting surface? I can build it as big as needed, but I don't want to overbuild. Does anyone wish they had built their stand larger or smaller?

Hope this is a little more clear.

Mike
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Gotcha! The side to side size of the base is determined by the outside diameter (OD) of your oven plus the amount of insulation you're planning on using, plus room for the enclosure you are planning. The front to back size is that same number, plus space for a landing, if you desire one.

Use the number of blocks that gives you that total area or a bit more without cutting the blocks. That makes life easy. If you haven't downloaded the e-plans from the FB store (free), now would be a good time to do it. If you have, review that section on building the stand.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks for the reply, George. I have downloaded the plans and have read them several times by now. I guess that's why I posed the question. Some people are building their stands up to 2-3 feet larger than the plans state. I was wondering the reason for this, if there are considerations to make that I haven't thought of.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
              X