Vermiculite in the Northeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite in the Northeast

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find Vermiculite on the east coast? We have a customer in NJ looking, and he can't find it anywhere locally.

Any ideas?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

I'm having a hard time finding vermiculite in large quantities here in the Midwest. All of the garden centers say it's the wrong season for them to carry it.

I think we'll wind up buying from a greenhouse supplier and having it shipped to us. A few links are here:

Vermiculite.com

Tom

Comment

Consider Perlite instead of Vermiculite

(T) " I'm having a hard time finding vermiculite in large quantities here in the Midwest. All of the garden centers say it's the wrong season for them to carry it."

================================================== ====

(M) Tom, consider asking for Perlite instead. Both products are virtually identical in their thermal properties but most builders on this forum advocate Perlite since it is white and more easily visible in the mix we call Perlcrete.

(M) One caveat: Do *not* get the "construction" grade as it has been treated with silicon. This makes it resist water absorption; a process necessary for making Perlcrete. Get the agricultural grade.

(M) Most builders find it easiest to first add the water to the cement (not mortar) and then throw in the required proportion of Perlite.

Ciao,

Marcel
      Last edited by Marcel; 12-20-2005, 09:22 AM. Reason: wrong choice of word
      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Perlite is available from Lawes in Shrewsbury in Central NJ Monmouth Co.)

Comment

Re: Vermiculite in the Northeast

Hi All!
          I'm Posting To Let Those In The Northeast (boston,ma Area) Know Where To Find Vermiculite. The Company Is Called Griffin Greenhouse And Nursery Supplies And They Are Located At 1619 Main St. In Tewksbury Ma. The Current Price Of A 6 Cu.ft. Bag Of Medium Grade (whittemore) Vermiculite Is $20.38 I'm Not Sure If They Ship Out But I Did See A Shipping And Receiving Dock So I Would Imagine They Do. Thier Phone # Is 1-978-851-4346
          ......gotta Go Build On!!!
          Best To All,
          Rick
          View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Hey Rick,
            Great to see you getting started! It sure sounds like spring came late to you this year. $20 on a 4 cu ft page sounds good.

Are you also doing a fireplace?
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I use and recommend this guy for perlite. It costs more to ship than to buy, but hey, gas isn't free either.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Bought the perlite for insulating my dome from that guy, $9.95 a bag and I believe shipping was $16 and some change per bag, so, $26 a bag and I didn't have to search for it. Wish I had found him when I did the insulating slab...I searched for days before i found a local source for vermiculite in the quantity needed.

Comment

Working...
                X