Connect cinder block stand to metal frame grill island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect cinder block stand to metal frame grill island

I want to connect the metal frame island to the cinder block pizza oven stand and then stone veneer the whole thing and put a countertop across it. I already poured the supporting top slab of the oven stand just not shown in this photo. How should I go about securing them together or do I even need to?

Not sure you have to do anything in particular. Just cement board to the stand and veneer accross. seems like you have the stand a 1/2" infront of the stud framing for the cement board to sit flush with the block. even if its just a little diffetent you will make that up with the mortar from the veneer.
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I was just thinking about putting some construction adhesive on the cement board and block to try and seal them together as one frame in case there was any shifting from wind or the winter. I was worried that if I went across with the veneer it might crack if I didn’t adhere the metal frame to the block frame but maybe I’m overthinking it. Guess it wouldn’t hurt to throw some adhesive on there anyway.

Comment

If the structure is going to shift construction adhesive will not hold it from moving it will shift no matter what the only thing that would work is an expansion joint which is the separation of materials by like a 1/2" gap and then filled in with a foam backer rod and a commerical grade caulk like Quad shield to fill the gap. this keeps the structures seperated and flexible. If you get a caulk product that looks the same color of your veneer then you almost cant almost tell but it will always be there and probably forhet you even see it. Most larger modern brick structures will have this so many feet apart on the outside perimeter.
        My Build Pictures

Comment

What do most people do? I’m just not sure if I need to do it or if its fine without doing anything.

Comment

i am guessing most people do nothing. but i never paid attention if people use block and transitioned next to it a steel stud structure. the thing is your on the same concrete pad so not sure if you would have a problem or not...hard to say...i would just veneer over it and gope for the best...im worried about mine as i have a long stretch of veneer with structures on the same paid but extremely different weights...only time will tell
            My Build Pictures

Comment

Just finished yesterday! It came out great!

Comment

Working...
              X