Styrofoam in place of plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styrofoam in place of plywood

Today I will begin constructing the forms for the foundation. Yea!

Is it necessary to check with a fire department official re placement of oven? I'm sure every jurisdiction is different, but perhaps someone has some advice on avoiding snags.

Has anyone considered the idea of using styrofoam or styrospan sheets (made by Dow Chemical) in place of the 3/4" plywood. I'm thinking of using a styrospan sheet then applying glue to the top of it before pouring the vermiculite/concrete mix so that the two will adhere. My thinking on this idea is: I will get greater insulation through the bottom of the oven when the styrospan is left in place after removing the supports; it will be cheaper; it is easier to work with.

Thanks for your interest, Davy

styrofoam or styrospan may lose strength with heat

(M) Davy wrote:

(D) "Today I will begin constructing the forms for the foundation. Yea!"

(D) "Is it necessary to check with a fire department official re placement of oven? I'm sure every jurisdiction is different, but perhaps someone has some advice on avoiding snags."

(M) If you find any snags lying around, cut them to ground level with a chainsaw.

(D) "Has anyone considered the idea of using styrofoam or styrospan sheets (made by Dow Chemical) in place of the 3/4" plywood. I'm thinking of using a styrospan sheet then applying glue to the top of it before pouring the vermiculite/concrete mix so that the two will adhere."

(M) I believe that if this were an idea you were intent on pursuing that the Perlcrete or Vermicucrete would not need any glue as both the styrofoam and Perlcrete-Vermicucrete are porous.

(D) "My thinking on this idea is: I will get greater insulation through the bottom of the oven when the styrospan is left in place after removing the supports; it will be cheaper; it is easier to work with."

(D) " Thanks for your interest, Davy"

(M) Davy, I have some concern that heat transfer may weaken the strofoam. But it would be no great structural loss if the styrofoam lost it's strength after the 2 layer concrete hardens. A greater concern to me would be if the styrofoam could support the weight of all that Perlcrete plus a layer of re-bar reinforced mortar. I have not heard of 3/4" plywood failing but styrofoam is an unknown.

Ciao,

Marcel
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
    but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Davy
      Marcel's right, each city/county is different. In South Florida the placement of any construction falls under the city building department. It might be worth the call to ask--then again, sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission...

As for styrofoam as a support, we're talking about more than 1600# of concrete so unless you support the styro with ply underneath, there's no way it'd support the weight. As for styrospan, I don't know the product so I can't really comment. If it can handle better than 53# psf, it might work depending on how you support it underneath. If you're supporting it with just 2x4s, then the point load at each 2x4 is far in excess of 53# but that's as far as my engineering knowledge goes...

Good luck with the build!
      ~David

Comment

Ask for forgiveness, not permission

A query in my last posting on the forum asked about fire regulations regarding wood fired ovens. After posting the question I contacted the local fire department, and to my amazement learned that such a construction is NOT permitted locally. I can't believe it!!!

A this point I think I'm going to go ahead with building the oven; I have been really looking forward to the pizzas and don't want to disappoint myself and all the friends I plan on inviting.

Comment

Davy - that's absurd. Do you live in America or California? I would go ahead with the project and if they bring up the issue I would fight it. The supreme court could use something of value on their docket. Keeping a man from cooking pizza is just wrong!
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Tell them...

it's a back yard bar-be-que. FB sells a grill for just that use. They can't outlaw a backyard barbeque unless it's in, like, midtown Manhattan.

Who was it that said that it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission? That might not be the best life guidance, but it may apply here.

David
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ask for a reference to the specific code-rule forbidding it

Originally posted by Davy
              A query in my last posting on the forum asked about fire regulations regarding wood fired ovens. After posting the question I contacted the local fire department, and to my amazement learned that such a construction is NOT permitted locally. I can't believe it!!!

A this point I think I'm going to go ahead with building the oven; I have been really looking forward to the pizzas and don't want to disappoint myself and all the friends I plan on inviting.
              ================================================== ====

(M) Someone at the Dept. is playing president. Ask them to quote you chapter and verse so you can read it yourself. Did they say if was their own Dept.'s regulations? Sounds off the wall to me. They will allow fireworks but not a masonry oven?? Bah Humbug!

Ciao,

Marcel
              "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
              but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

where do you live, anyway?
                -Paul
                overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
                X