Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand bricks

Hi All,

I'm new to this - so asking for forgiveness in advance for all my questions.

Bricks down here are expensive (in the regions of $5 + per brick) - however I just found this auction for bricks that could save me a fortune.

Could you guys please have a look and tell me if they would be OK to use (you will save me $00's)

Thanks

Chris

Re: Second hand bricks

ok to post links I had to have a post count greater than 2 - well this will make 3 and here is the link - thanks all.

Furnace Insulating Bricks (Light, Soft & Brittle) for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand or there are these ones:

Furnace Bricks - (Fire Bricks Structural & Robust) for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand
    Last edited by tankard; 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

My guess is that light, soft bricks are insulating firebricks. They can substitute for vermiculite insulation, but they are not the best insulation. Some members have used them when they got them free or cheap in a deal.

The heavier ones are the ones you want. The heavy ones are still porous, so ask what they were used for - boilers, rendering plants ok, metal smelters or furnaces, or kilns exposed to lead glazes, no. You want to stay away from heavy metal contamination. Anything organic will burn right off.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

I called the owner and he told me that they had come from steel furnaces.

So Im guessing thats a no - go then.

Oh well - it was too good to be true - back to the $5+ per brick agghh

Comment

Chris - I am sure that some have built with a worse product. I would be a little bit concerned because you do not know how many years these things have been exposed to heat. I had to replace the brick in our wood burning stove and they had the texture of a sponge, and very fragile. It's hard to tell from the picture if this is the case. After I look back at all the phases involved on this project, I always wished I did it a little better and spent a little more because these things are in it for the long haul...

Just my 2 cents - no clue what that is in Euros...

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
            Chris - I am sure that some have built with a worse product. I would be a little bit concerned because you do not know how many years these things have been exposed to heat. I had to replace the brick in our wood burning stove and they had the texture of a sponge, and very fragile. It's hard to tell from the picture if this is the case. After I look back at all the phases involved on this project, I always wished I did it a little better and spent a little more because these things are in it for the long haul...

Just my 2 cents - no clue what that is in Euros...

Les...
            Thanks Les - you make a really good point - and yep - I'm not looking at moving for a while - so I want this puppy to last.

They did comment when I called them that they were from old furnaces that they got second hand and chose not to use - so I'm guessing that they are well past their prime.

As for the Euro - we are about 10000 miles from the nearest country that uses it.

Your 2 cents is worth about 3 cents here :-)

Comment

No offense Les but your geography skills rival that of my wife...who, originally from New York and now living in Mississippi, still goes UP to Florida...I have to admit that I was ROTFL
              Dutch

Originally posted by tankard View Post
              As for the Euro - we are about 10000 miles from the nearest country that uses it.

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by tankard View Post

Sweet - New Zealand is on the vacation map - an 18 pack of Coors light costs about $7.60. Thats incentive to travel right there

And my bad.... I thought you were part of Europe - I was way the friggen off

Dutch, I am usually pretty good at location - I know more than my wife pretty much 90/10 on Jeopardy. But in my defense, what the hell happens in New Zealand (no offense Chris)

Les...

Comment

Sheep Les, sheep (and great trout fishing!) New Zealand is a wonderful place - I've heard! Damn if I can get there. Given the opportunity......
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Geesh - 4 post and already the Kiwi bashing has started.

Les, Les, Les .... (shakes head)

Its important that you understand in NZ we dont sell Coors light.

We sell such high class beers as Tui.

For your Beer education you may find the following You Tube link helpful

YouTube - Beer Tui AD (Sexy Girls)

Other than that - whats happens in NZ? Rugby, Beer, more Rugby, fishing, fishing with beer, and ummmm watching rugby.

Jesh - you make it sound like we dont do much down here!

Comment

Sheep Les, sheep

This is a pic I sent out a while back titled "Field of Dreams - It's Saturday night, who's my date". I know it's a bit sick, but we need to break in these newbies correctly

Chris, in all sincerity, good luck with the build and we are here to help.

Les...

Comment

Sheep Les, sheep

This is a pic I sent out a while back titled "Field of Dreams - It's Saturday night, who's my date". I know it's a bit sick, but we need to break in these newbies correctly

Les...
                        You don't have to be sick to post here but it certainly helps

I like Spring Lamb...I'll take the one with the skinny legs.....
                        Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

HAHAHA, I love it!

Reminds me of the first time I met a Kiwi... someone said "this is Peter (dont mention sheep) " and I'm going Why???

Poor inoffensive guy, of course from then on whenever I saw him I'd mention sheep... as did everyone else... he didn't stay in Switzerland for long though, I wonder why?

And when I was in Texas I'd always get "Say something in Swedish!".... Our cousins accross the pond never seemed to be too hot at geography...

Great thread already, good luck with the build Chris!
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I understand...must've just had a Coor's Light or two in ya maybe...JK...t was just too funny the way Chris answered
                            All the best!
                            Dutch
                            Dutch, I am usually pretty good at location - I know more than my wife pretty much 90/10 on Jeopardy. But in my defense, what the hell happens in New Zealand (no offense Chris)

Les...
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                              And when I was in Texas I'd always get "Say something in Swedish!".... Our cousins accross the pond never seemed to be too hot at geography...
                              This is just too funny! Once again I am ROTFL
                              Dutch

Comment

Working...
                              X