Permits / code questions in St. Louis MO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permits / code questions in St. Louis MO

Wondering if anyone here has pulled a permit in the St. Louis County area. I called the permit office and they told me I needed to submit plans and that it must be 15' from property line and house, and can't be over 10' tall. I had trouble understanding the lady, but she said I could easily google some IFC standard to ensure the dimensions of the oven were within code. I tried doing that to no avail. I see a lot of people on here saying they submitted the "plans" given by FB. I have the guidebook, and there really aren't any 'drawings', maybe the stuff on pages 15-18?

Looking at the permit website, it seems like this would fall under a "Smokehouse" permit: https://www.stlouisco.com/Portals/8/...Smokehouse.pdf

I've seen some other posts on here about calling your oven a BBQ related thing. I'm also wondering if I should just do it without a permit? I figure the worst thing that can happen is when I sell the house, I can't claim the oven as an oven, but I could just call it decorative or like a garden thing.
    My 36" build -&- Youtube Timelapse

Follow up response for others who may pursue this in the stl area.

I spoke with the permit office in downtown Clayton for St. Louis County, they said I needed to talk with Maplewood specifically (where I live) but they didn't think I needed a permit. They thought I might need some sort of approval for the chimney design (mechanical permit). I emailed Maplewood, and the building official/fire marshal informed me:

"No building permit is required for the type of temporary structure shown in the file you attached. The temporary structure is required to comply with the zoning ordinance and the 2015 International Fire Code. The City of Maplewood zoning ordinance requires that this temporary structure be located at least 5 five feet from the property lines, can not be located in the front yard and no closer than ten feet to any other structure on the property. The 2015 International Fire Code indicates that the portable outdoor fireplaces should be built at least 15' from the property line, from any other structure on the property and any other combustible material."

Comment

That sounds reasonable. When will you get started?
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

I should hope to start sometime in April once it's nice enough outside.

Comment

That's good. Bet you're excited. Keep us all posted and include pics!! Best of luck to you.
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
          X