Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grahamstein
    replied
    So after fiddling with the arrangment of the pieces i was able to get my gaps in the dome even, in the end there was around a 1/4 inch between each. And again i had to take a photo of my assistants. Then on to insulating. I managed to get 3 layers of the insulating blankets over the oven. Originally I was planning to do a full 2 inches of perlcrete over the dome, after managing to get 3 inches of the blanket on i changed direction and thought i would nix it, then i continued thinking and reading and came to the conclusion i should do a minimal layer, to have something for the next stucco layer to bond to, and even out the shape. Ive started with the curing fires and on day 3 i found a hot spot on top of the dome.

So i suppose by question is, would i be better to throw an extra layer of blanket over the top that i saved, then stucco over, or just add more perlcrete, or both?

Im tempted to just rush the process because i can already taste that pizza but i dont know if a little more caution may be appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    So i got the dome assembled, I put the wife to work and made her support everything while assembling it. But with a piece or two of wood cut to size it could have been a one man job. My girls were getting excited and had to be part of the process.

Leave a comment:

• njforno
    replied
    Glad to see your progress.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied
    Nice progress.

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    Mixing and putting down a 2 inch layer of perlite insulation. I dont think i really needed it for insulation value as im using 2 inch casi board under the oven but it also helped smooth out a little bit on undulation in the suspended slab. My first experience working with perlcrete, its pretty cool stuff to work with. And i picked up the oven kit yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    Pouring the hearth

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    Building the stand

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    just make sure you don't get mortar and concrete from the build on it or in it...that's why I did mine last. I used a micro channel drain only like 1" wide

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    Originally posted by Chach View Post
    I ended up pouring 2 1/2" on top of the wood storage floor after I built the stand and i pitched it out. I was worried of water getting in as well.

Ricky
    That's a good idea, maybe after I have the first course of block mortared down I'll do that as well before I pour the hearth

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
    If water can drain down through your pavers drain you shouldn't have any problems. I don't get a ton of water but if it is raining hard I can't cook in my socks
    I installed a channel drain in the front of my entire structure to re direct the rain water because I was getting pooling in front of the fireplace on my pavers so for some good measure I installed it in front of the entire structure and ran a pipe from that to the back of the yard and now no more pooling.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    If water can drain down through your pavers drain you shouldn't have any problems. I don't get a ton of water but if it is raining hard I can't cook in my socks

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    I ended up pouring 2 1/2" on top of the wood storage floor after I built the stand and i pitched it out. I was worried of water getting in as well.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    Yeah I thought about that to, but didn't want to go to crazy with the slab. I put a groove in between the slab and pavers, I was thinking of also putting stone veneer on the floor and drilling a few drain holes through the base of the stand

Leave a comment:

• JRPizza
    replied
    Your oven is placed similarly to mine and it looks like it might be at the low end of your patio slope, I get water running downslope and kind of wish I had raised my slab an inch or so to keep the water out of the wood storage area.

Leave a comment:

• Grahamstein
    replied
    The rest of the photos so far

Leave a comment:

Working...
X