No announcement yet.

About to start a corner build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just make sure you don't get mortar and concrete from the build on it or in it...that's why I did mine last. I used a micro channel drain only like 1" wide
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Building the stand

Comment

Pouring the hearth

Comment

Mixing and putting down a 2 inch layer of perlite insulation. I dont think i really needed it for insulation value as im using 2 inch casi board under the oven but it also helped smooth out a little bit on undulation in the suspended slab. My first experience working with perlcrete, its pretty cool stuff to work with. And i picked up the oven kit yesterday.

Comment

Nice progress.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Glad to see your progress.

Comment

So i got the dome assembled, I put the wife to work and made her support everything while assembling it. But with a piece or two of wood cut to size it could have been a one man job. My girls were getting excited and had to be part of the process.

Comment

So after fiddling with the arrangment of the pieces i was able to get my gaps in the dome even, in the end there was around a 1/4 inch between each. And again i had to take a photo of my assistants. Then on to insulating. I managed to get 3 layers of the insulating blankets over the oven. Originally I was planning to do a full 2 inches of perlcrete over the dome, after managing to get 3 inches of the blanket on i changed direction and thought i would nix it, then i continued thinking and reading and came to the conclusion i should do a minimal layer, to have something for the next stucco layer to bond to, and even out the shape. Ive started with the curing fires and on day 3 i found a hot spot on top of the dome.

So i suppose by question is, would i be better to throw an extra layer of blanket over the top that i saved, then stucco over, or just add more perlcrete, or both?

Im tempted to just rush the process because i can already taste that pizza but i dont know if a little more caution may be appropriate.

Comment

This is the point where we see builders wanting to hurry the cure process and fire too hot too fast. It is unknown how much water remains in the factory casting and by going to fast to hot you run the risk of cracking the dome.Take it easy, you can aways do some dutch oven cooking while you cure. Looks like you have some great helpers.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Ive been successfully fighting the urge to make the fires too big too fast. I just don't know if its appropriate to take a step back and do some more insulating. One other concern i have is that my chimney may be too small, as there seems to be a decent (AKA too much) smoke coming out of the mouth of the oven. I dont know what would be the most advisable step at this point, take the insulation off and fabricate a larger chimney? Add more height to the flue for better drafting? Try a less restrictive cap?

Comment

What is the ID of the oven and the ID size of the chimney? New ovens are notorious for smoking. Once cured, I normally start a small "top down" burn under the chimney opening to get a draft going then push the fire into the dome once the draft is going.
                        Russell

Comment

Its a 40" oven, the kit came with a 6" chimney.

Comment

The 6" ID chimney is what was supplied with the Forno Volta (not a Forno Bravo product)? The Forno Bravo e- plans call out 6" for 32 and 36 inch ID ovens and 8" for 40 inch and larger. I would continue to cure and see if the smoking diminishes.As mentioned start a draft fire under the chimney opening first. I originally had a 3 foot stack but had to add an 1 footer to get a better draw.
                            Russell

Comment

Your correct about it being a Volta, and most likely therein lies the issue. Where forno bravo probably carefully examined what is appropriate for their ovens, the maker of mine probably said "fuck it, it's good enough". The flue pipe on mine measures only 18 inches in length. I'm thinking a longer pipe would help, but then I think if I'm going to start changing things, I might be better off if i just take that chimney off and just get 2 sections of 8x12 clay flue liner instead.

I think that's most likely the route I will take as I don't want the chimney getting to much higher.

Comment

Clay flues are an option but they need to be insulated so they do not crack due to temperature differential between inside and outside. It is also possible that the CaSi absorbed some of the moisture from the vcrete layer possibly contributing to the smoking issue. This will dry out as the cure process continues. I would continue with the cure and see how the smoke is after the full cure, the ovens get better with each firing.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X