No announcement yet.

About to start a corner build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked out their web site to see what the geometry looked like but could not find exact numbers - I was wondering what the internal dome height and opening heights are, both for the inner arch and the outer arch. There might be something in their geometry that adds to the tendency to smoke. I also see from a UK site that the recommended chimney is listed at 300 mm od (11.8"), where my 8" double wall pipe is 10" od. Maybe your vendor sent you the wrong pipe and adapter?

http://www.orionheating.co.uk/cooker...a-oven-models/
    Last edited by JRPizza; 06-09-2020, 08:24 PM.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I had the same thought about arch heights being part of the issue as well. I forgot to measure the dome before starting my day 5 fire, but it looks to be about 16-17 inches. The inner arch measured 12, which seems to fall into that 2/3 range. The outer arch measured 13 inches high. So I think the combination of the arch heights and a slightly restrictive chimney are causing the exhaust to roll out the front. Is really only smoking when i put new wood in the oven, but I would say about 20% of the exhaust goes out the front instead of up the chimney. I may leave it, just because the only real problem it might cause is soot staining at the mouth. But I'm a little OCD so that will eat at me.

Comment

A lot of oven will get some soot staining on the outer arch area. I know that David S uses a nice glazed tile face with "black" mortar so it is easier to clean and the black mortar hides the soot stain.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

it just wasn't sitting well with me so I went back and changed things. I got some insulating firebrick and some fireplace mortar and constructed a flue gallery of sorts. I didn't get pictures before I reinsulated but I snapped one from the inside. I think it should help considerably with drafting. It adds 9 inches in height but makes a much better transition rather than having the anchor plate just screwed on top of the arch like it was before.
          Last edited by Grahamstein; 06-21-2020, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Comment

Grahamstein Did the flue gallery help with the soot? How do you like the oven?

Comment

Yes building a flue gallery reduced the exhaust by probably 50%. I also framed a chimney with cement board and filled it with perlcrete around a 24" flue pipe. I'll remove that China man's hat and top it with a stone eventually. The hat on there now seems kinda restrictive. Work has slowed a little but in still plugging along.
                Last edited by Grahamstein; 07-27-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

What's the purpose of insulating the chimney? I've seen and heard of that, but really don't get the intended purpose?
                  My Build:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

For me it was only aesthetics. I wanted my chimney to be squarish and be covered in veneer. So I used the steel chimney as my liner and the insulation and cement board to create the shape I wanted.

Comment

In the heat this week I managed to get another layer of render on the dome and get all of my veneer corners on, as well as casting some of the counters.

Comment

Looking real good. I noticed you have a few outside 45 degree angles on your oven base. I had a few as well and I was trying to see what looks nice when I put the veneer on and what I came up with was take a piece and miter your angle you need and assemble them on the angled wall and it looks like you have a full piece of stone on the angle rather than a mortar joint on the angle. You will not regret the decision if you take that extra step it'll look money. The park by me has it with the joint on the angled wall and all you see is the vertical mortar joint.

Ricky
                        My Build Pictures
                        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

I tried to stagger all my joints and my pattern as best I could to avoid any eyesores. I think it came out pretty well. I just need to cast two more counter top sections around the oven, cap both chimneys, stain and seal the counters, grout all the joints and I want to build an outer brick dome over the oven. It's getting much closer though.

Comment

That looks really good, how did you stick the stone to the cement board?

Comment

Can't wait to see it done. Everything is coming together. People don't realize how big of a project you just did is. Congrats.

Ricky
                              My Build Pictures
                              https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Originally posted by fox View Post
                                That looks really good, how did you stick the stone to the cement board?
                                The instructions from the manufacturer of the veneer said to use a polymer modified thinset mortar. A little more expensive but it seems like it's worth it as the bond strength is really good. In one spot I tried to pull a stone of a day after setting it and it started breaking the cement board rather than shear off.

Comment

Working...
                                X