No announcement yet.

About to start a corner build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do you have a method planed to point all the stone? A grouting gun of some description?

Comment

Unless someone has better suggestions I was just going to mix up some type s and use a piping bag. I had planned on giving it an overgrout finish

Comment

I will be interested on what you find the easiest way to fill the stones, there are grouting guns available, just like a large mastic gun but they dont work with standard sand cement mix.
        I think that trying to fill with a piping bag might work if you can find a fine sand that wont compress and block up all the time.

Comment

Piping bag works fine and use a backfiller to pack the joint and after a bit use a masons broom or stiff painters brush to brush the mortar and clean off the excess on the stone. thats how I did my fireplace inside my house. Mortar has to be on the looser side for the bag to work.

Ricky
          Last edited by Chach; 08-28-2020, 08:41 PM.
          My Build Pictures
          https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post
            Piping bag works fine and use a backfill to pack the joint and after a bit use a masons broom or stiff painters brush to brush the mortar and clean off the excess on the stone. thats how I did my fireplace inside my house. Mortar has to be on the looser side for the bag to work.

Ricky
            I copy everything else you said, except for the part about using a backfill. Does that mean to fill the gap with some sort of foam filler rod or something to that effect? Like the sort of thing you might use to fill gaps around window jambs before sealing it with spray foam?

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamstein View Post

I copy everything else you said, except for the part about using a backfill. Does that mean to fill the gap with some sort of foam filler rod or something to that effect? Like the sort of thing you might use to fill gaps around window jambs before sealing it with spray foam?
              No a backfiller is a pointing tool to pack the mortar usually a 1/4" pointing trowel. The foam filler is called backer rod and is used for expansion joints and between commercial store fronts with a flexible sealant over the top such as urethane sealant.

Ricky
              Last edited by Chach; 08-29-2020, 06:52 AM.
              My Build Pictures

Comment

So I've still been plugging along when I have time. I acid stained and sealed the lower counters, got about half way with pointing the stone. Just a few more things to finish still. I need to make a cap for the fireplace, get the electric working, finish the pointing and I want to build a brick outer done over the oven then waterproof it.

Comment

Looks great! it's definitely a project you should be proud of.

Ricky
                  My Build Pictures

Comment

Working...
                  X