Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza oven over + fireplace under combo

Hello,

New to the forum, long time lurker. I'm planning my oven for next year, at first I was going to put it in the yard, but I started thinking (that`s usually expensive). We have a walk out basement with a seating area under the deck for the main floor, with steel roof under the deck to make a dry area under. So I was thinking of building the oven off the deck, but with the front of it facing the seating area under the deck. So far so good.

Then I started thinking that the oven is too high and opening too small to double as a fireplace, so I started thinking about a fireplace. I have wide enough to offset them to have room for the fireplace flue, but I'd like to have a single flue because I'd have to run it along the house 2 stories to clear the roof line of the house. I can probably connect the oven flue on the fireplace flue, or vice-versa, but I don`t like that.

So that's where thinking started. In the first photo, that's how my friend has his oven setup (no fireplace). But he has a drop chute (green arrow) under the flue (or near) to drop the ashes in a bucket in the storage compartment under.

What if I take advantage of that chute to direct the fireplace smoke up the shared flue and have 2 doors (orange line), one for the oven opening and one for the exterior opening?

When I don't use the fireplace, my oven would work just like my friend's oven. The odds of using both at the same time are slim, food for supper, fire at night with drinks.

Hi Pantenteux,

Welcome to the forum. It may work. How well, I don't know. Just noting from the rough drawing, without a well shaped smoke chamber above the fireplace or the oven entry, you will have smoke issues (at least on startup). You will definately have too preheat the flue before firing imo. It will take more than just a "chute" to take care of the fireplace. It will take a larger than normal oven entry with most of it's floor removable to accomodate the firplace. But, give it a go and keep us up to date on the build. You can always back up and install a gas log under there if it doesn't perform to your expectations.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep reading and investigating. I can't start this summer, other things on to do list that I have to do first.

The firebox design for the fireplace is just rough, I'd do a proper shape smoke chamber after figuring out what that's supposed to look like.

I think you are right about smoke on start-up until the chimney heats up. The passing through the oven entry will not be a smooth flow like in a smooth stove pipe. For the size of the chute, if I use a 7" flue, that's 38 square inches, so if my chute was 4" x 12", that's 48 square inches, wouldn't that work. Assuming a proper shaped firebox for the fireplace to direct the smoke up.

Comment

Someone else tried this a few years ago and used standard concrete for the oven supporting slab. The flames fro the fireplace killed the slab and the only remedy I could see to repair it would be a total tear down and rebuild. I don't think there were any follow up reports.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

For the size of the chute, if I use a 7" flue, that's 38 square inches, so if my chute was 4" x 12", that's 48 square inches, wouldn't that work. Assuming a proper shaped firebox for the fireplace to direct the smoke up.
          Unless I missed it above, you haven't mentioned the size oven that you intend to build. Flue size is related to oven size as flue size is related to fireplace opening size size. Balancing the two could be tricky. A 48" flue is very small for a fireplace imo.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X