Support Structure for Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Structure for Oven

I am planning to build a wood fired brick oven (igloo style, 32 inch diameter) as part of my backyard deck. I’m considering building the hearth and oven on a platform supported by a wood framework of vertical 6x6” posts mounted on cement in the ground, with 2”x6” horizontal supports beneath the perimeter and across the middle of the hearth. This would be an alternative to a concrete block foundation. 6x6’s can support a lot of weight, and would be a rigid structure.does anyone have experience with thid type of support for an oven? Thanks, Craig

We get asked this question here and there and the general opinion is no. These ovens are really, really, heavy. There have been a couple done with wood but we have not seen any followup status. There have been a few welded steel frames done as well. Have you download and read the eplans from Forno Bravo, they are cheap and a good baseline for design and construction.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      We get asked this question here and there and the general opinion is no. These ovens are really, really, heavy. There have been a couple done with wood but we have not seen any followup status. There have been a few welded steel frames done as well. Have you download and read the eplans from Forno Bravo, they are cheap and a good baseline for design and construction.
      Totally agree. The oven structure itself is extremely heavy and need a beefy stand to sit on. Wood if built correctly wood support the oven (see what I did there lol) but over long term can fail over time and would be extremely hard to replace with that oven on top. A Proper steel welded construction frame would be better using a high grade steel with corrosion resistant properties such as galvanized steel and then painted or even better stainless steel but it gets costly. If you are worried about building the base out of concrete block I wouldn't worry about that as it is pretty easy to do just a little labor intensive but very strong.

Ricky
      My Build Pictures
      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Working...
      X