Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperture Gauge for floor and dome.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperture Gauge for floor and dome.......

I just purchased a BBQ tem gauge from Amazon with 4 probes.
    ( ThermoPro TP25 Bluetooth Meat Thermometer Digital Cooking Food Thermometer for Grilling with 4 Temperature Probes Smart Wireless Smoker BBQ Thermometer)

The plan was to put one probe under theoven floor between the insulatinf layer and the fire brick and another in the dome. I was going to mortar a metal straw inbetween the dome bricks for easy insertion and replacement. The straw would NOT extend into the dome and would go about halfway in to the dome brick.......

Is this a good idea for the dome and floor temps?????

Also I am sending it back as MAX temp is 572F. This is not hot enough for the pizza side of thigs or am I missing something here.....

Any suggestions for temp gauges of this type or ideas how to do this would be welcome. I do have a laser temp gauge I have used in the past but wanted to go gadget mad while building my new WFO.

I can tell you from experience, I installed type J thermo couples in my oven and have a multimeter that reads temperatures at a control box but I never use them any more. It is just a wasted feature, I just use a cheapo infrared temp gun and visual cues, IE dome clearing, etc. You are better off spending your gadget money on pizza tools like loading and turning peels or at least materials to build them.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I am not an experienced person. I just bought a Weber smokey mountain after searching lot of websites and used it on the weekend. After l used it l have moisture in the temperature gauge.
      I don't think it's normal I've seen a lot of temp gauges on a lot of BBQ and none of them fogged up. One of our members here bought a Ziggy and had the same problem with moisture in his gauge, he got it replaced under warranty. I am gonna try putting it in a bag of rice.
      Last edited by SableSprings; 04-20-2022, 08:35 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Comment

Originally posted by TommyTongue View Post
        The straw would NOT extend into the dome and would go about halfway in to the dome brick.......
        Is this a good idea for the dome and floor temps?????
        Why would you want to know the outside dome temp and under floor temps, don't you want the temperature inside the oven?

Some of the wired probes go up to 700⁰ so that would probably be sufficient for what you want. Tried and true method is to add SS tube into the oven with a normal analog gauge and another one in the door. Generally the wireless probes are used for roasts which are done below 572⁰ oven temps

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzarotic View Post
          Why would you want to know the outside dome temp and under floor temps, don't you want the temperature inside the oven?
          The "temperature inside the oven" is ambiguous: With an IR thermometer, you'll find that the inner-surface temperature can be quite variable in time and location, especially during or shortly after firing. So if you insist on a quantifiable metrics, then one or two probes that are an an inch or two beneath the surface should give you a more averaged-out temperature, which is probably a better estimation of what temperature the oven (and any object inside it), will stabilise to.

See also this post: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...erature-curves

Having said that... I just use an IR thermometer and experience, as UtahBeeHiver also mentioned.

Comment

After firing and cooking in your oven many times, you will find that it’s characteristics repeat themselves and temperature measurements become redundant. IR thermometers only measure the surface temperature, so can be misleading. Like Utah, I prefer the traditional methods of dome clearing, semolina floor test and holding a fist in the middle of the oven, as well as a hand held to the outside of the oven (igloo style) to feel the spread of warmth.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X