Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use these instead of stainless needles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use these instead of stainless needles?

I am having a very difficult time finding stainless steel needles but I have found Dramix 3D steel reinforcing fibres. They are not stainless. Can I use them to reinforce a home brew cast oven? Thanks.

No, I wouldn’t. There is a reason stainless are the recommended reinforcing and that is because they are in an environment where moisture and heat are big contributors to corrosion. Better to leave them out.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks david, looks like I’m back to the drawing board. Do you know of any other product that would be ok to use? Nothing but dead ends trying to track down these needles here.

Comment

Check with David S, i believe he says AR (alkali resistance) glass fibers may be substitute for melt extract fibers (aka SS needles)
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Have you seen these?

Refractory Reinforcing 1" 430 Stainless Steel Needles

I had a link but found out I couldn't do that so here's what they are called
          You can also do a search under this discription.
          refractory reinforcing stainless steel fiber
          Last edited by BenKeith; 02-20-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Check with David S, i believe he says AR (alkali resistance) glass fibers may be substitute for melt extract fibers (aka SS needles)
            I use both melt extract fibres (stainless steel needles) as well as AR (alkaline resistant fibreglass fibres and carbon nanotube fibres in conjunction with castable refractory. But if you are using a home-brew castable (3:1:1:1 sand hydrated lime, powdered clay), the most important fibre addition is the very fine polypropylene fibres, which burn out and give the castable a degree of protection from steam spalling. You can skip the reinforcing fibres, it will still work ok.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X