Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearth Dimensions

Hello all,

I have enjoyed reading the Forum for a few months. It is interesting to see how the technology and techniques have evolved over the years. I am contemplating a build in Central PA and considering all the negative freeze-thaw issues that may arise. I want to keep the dome exposed and not have the look of a higher roofed enclosed box. I will build a lean-to structure on posts to shield the cook and to keep most of the heavy precipitation from dome. I’m curious why more guys don’t build smaller stands and hearths and extend the render down over the side of the hearth. This would eliminate the seam at the dome hearth interface. This seems to be the site of most concern for moisture penetration. The only build I have seen that does this is by fenway5731 in 2018. No one commented on that Topic. I understand the wood storage area under the hearth, but there are certainly other ways make space for that. If I were in a different climate, I would probably just go with the usual build. Please comment as I must be missing some important points. Thanks!
    Last edited by SableSprings; 04-28-2021, 09:14 AM.
    My Build: 42" Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

Welcome Giovanni! Extending the render down the sides smoothly would help, but you'd still have a physical seam line develop between the top slab & the oven resting on top. The render would need to be maintained constantly to keep moisture from seeping in. In my opinion, many builders want to have some counter space at the side(s) of the oven. Absolutely nothing wrong with doing an oven with the design you're contemplating, just a bit more work & materials. Most stand-alone oven designs do indeed use the feature you're commenting on...check out the standing ovens offered by our Forno Bravo host.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
    X