Blacksmithing and WFOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blacksmithing and WFOs

Just reading this thread makes me realize why most folks do not cook with WFOs anymore......smart engineer types are always trying to innovate to make things go faster and easier. Crack me up! One reason I like the WFO is that it is low-tech. Its slows me down to work at the oven's pace. Part of the fun is that it isn't fast. I am not being critical just observant. Day in and day out I am thankful to turn a knob on in my inside oven and know what temp and how long things need to cook. Keep up the innovation, but don't lose site of the joys of the slow cook!

Comment

krosskraft brings up great points.

These same concepts run throughout the blacksmithing and woodworking communities as well (and probably almost all "old timey" hobbies).

The cob people look at our high tech refractories and roll their eyes. propane blacksmiths vs coal vs charcoal. Power tool woodworkers vs handtool guys.

And then we have ALL of us typing on computers to be in this community.

I'm starting to narrow it down. I think that people pick an aspect (or several) that they want to remain "as it was", and then they don't mind things progressing in other areas.

Some guys are about the process, wanting that part to remain "as it was in the olden days". Very admirable.

Other guys are about the tools, the construction.

Others, the product. Bread and pizzas just like they had it.

You can see how it begins to spawn different end results in both ovens and products and processes.

It's all fascinating to me.

I think on some level, all of us here would dislike the Jetson's "push a button and out comes the food" type of life, but as to where each of us make our "connections" with the food being created, it varies wildly.

I love your observations.

Comment

Neil,

Interesting results with your "fresh air intake".

One of the upsides to a pompei over a barrel is less thermal mass = less time to heat = less fuel used.

The downsides to less thermal mass include shorter window of high temperature without adding more heat, and for the bread/fireless cooks - less bread may be cooked, and for the 36hours after I cooked a whole hog people - food poisoning.

BUT, all things being basically equal, I think people wouldn't either minding the oven not taking quite as long to heat up, OR it takes the same time, but has more thermal mass to allow them higher heats or longer cooking, etc.

It's the reason we all use bricks at all instead of just a steel shell.

I like the low tech, low intrusion methods. I'm pondering the possibility of plumbing in some air chambers that would allow air be drawn in through the floor such that you could cut off the supply when the fire was moved or the air otherwise not needed.

Comment

I agree as well. One of my hobbies is photography, and I'm one of the few people who still use only film. Even for snapshots of family and friends I'm using the film camera. I'll take a picture and people who don't know will say "let me see it." Not too much patience anymore for lots of stuff. I actually develop and print my photos as well. Its about the process as well as the materials for me. Shoot, I still use a few view cameras..you know the box ones where you have to get under the dark cloth to see through.
          Oven Progress
          Bread Photos
          Oven Stand Thread

Comment

I assume the bricks obtain their heat through both radiant means and conduction from the hot air/other bricks.

Do we know which of these two is primary?

If the primary way the heat is added to the bricks is by conduction, I can see the ITC coating being helpful on the inside of the dome as it makes the bricks even more reflective than they were before.

If radiant is the primary, I can't see the ITC being helpful on the inside, because it would slow the heat absorbtion. At blacksmithing temps, there is more radiant transfer going on, but I don't know if that changes at these "lower" temperatures or if it's the same.

Anyone?

PS I know there are lots and lots of microthreads in this thread. Sorry about that.

Comment

[QUOTE=Groves;34600]
              QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that! I'm not using bricks for my dome. Granted my steel dome may be a bit unconventional but no bricks to crack or fall out. Lots of ways to skin a cat (as they say). :-)

Finished my excavation and today bent and welded up my rebar armiture for reinforcement. Picking up my stainless chimney tomorrow; Quikrete scheduled to arrive on Thursday, with any luck I'll be stacking blocks (already onsite) by this time next week. :-)

Wiley

Comment

[QUOTE=Wiley;34652]
                Originally posted by Groves View Post
                QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that! I'm not using bricks for my dome. Granted my steel dome may be a bit unconventional but no bricks to crack or fall out. Lots of ways to skin a cat (as they say). :-)

Finished my excavation and today bent and welded up my rebar armiture for reinforcement. Picking up my stainless chimney tomorrow; Quikrete scheduled to arrive on Thursday, with any luck I'll be stacking blocks (already onsite) by this time next week. :-)

Wiley
                I love the steel shell! Looks great, it took some real planning, and it took some serious skillz

Can't wait to see how you finish it all out.

Dave
                My thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                My costs:
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                My pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

conduction, radiant, cold air intakes, high tech coatings.......I gotta say, I'm a low tech guy on this - build a big scary fire (which is fun, mesmerizing, and hypnotic to watch) keep it going for an hour, let stabilize/cool for another 10-15 mins. and I'm good to go...I will admit to owning an IR (I guess I can be swayed to the "dark side).
                  I agree that the engineering types and tinkerers will never be satisfied (its an inherent trait that someone needs to posses for the world to progress - A GOOD THING); so thanks to those guys......but I still have to wonder every time I read a thread like this...Do they ever just build a raging fire and then just cook some good food???
                  Stop and smell the roses, taste the pizza, and leave the techno gadgetry and slide rule in the shop....enjoy what you've created, and hey - the next round is on me!!!
                  Thanks for all the insight...sorry to say, I have nothing constructive to add to your interesting read.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                    conduction, radiant, cold air intakes, high tech coatings.......I gotta say, I'm a low tech guy on this - build a big scary fire (which is fun, mesmerizing, and hypnotic to watch) keep it going for an hour, let stabilize/cool for another 10-15 mins. and I'm good to go...I will admit to owning an IR (I guess I can be swayed to the "dark side).
                    I agree that the engineering types and tinkerers will never be satisfied (its an inherent trait that someone needs to posses for the world to progress - A GOOD THING); so thanks to those guys......but I still have to wonder every time I read a thread like this...Do they ever just build a raging fire and then just cook some good food???
                    Stop and smell the roses, taste the pizza, and leave the techno gadgetry and slide rule in the shop....enjoy what you've created, and hey - the next round is on me!!!
                    Thanks for all the insight...sorry to say, I have nothing constructive to add to your interesting read.

RT

Well said.
                    My thread:
                    My costs:
                    My pics:

Comment

but you did forget... kiss the wife and children

!

My thread:
                      My costs:
                      My pics:

Comment

Nobody here is interested in baking our pizza or bread over an open fire. That's why we have enclosures, and why you all built with certain parts that were good at retaining heat, and other parts good at insulating.

All of us want an oven that doesn't take forever to get to temp, and doesn't cool down the moment the fire is out.

I'm with you guys. I enjoy the process. I don't want to soup up an oven and tinker with it, I just want to make the wisest choices when I'm building so that I can enjoy the slowness of it after it's done.

Great Thoughts, RT

Comment

Working...
                        X