Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of fibres needed

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a 30" castable oven and I'm wondering approximately how many kilos of polypropylene fibers and stainless steel needles/melt extract fibers I should include in my mix.

Thanks

That depends on the volume of material in the cast which in turn depends on the oven wall thickness. 4/3 pi r3 for volume of a sphere, don't forget to halve it because it's a hemisphere. (the volume of the oven mouth is equivalent to the part that surrounds the mouth so just work on the total volume of a hemisphere. Generally most cast ovens are 2" thick.

You also need extra to cast the flue gallery.

Stainless needles should be between 2-4% of the dry weight of the castable. for the fine polypropylene fibres you don't need much, around half a handful for every 10 litres of castable but make sure they're well dispersed.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you David. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

Comment

david s

I'm struggling to find a source locally for fireclay. I have a lot of older red bricks which are just your standard building bricks. Could these be crushed up and used in place of fireclay in the homebrew mortar mix?

Comment

No, crushed fired brick essentially just becomes an aggregate in mortar. You need the stickiness of the powdered clay. The clay is sometimes called bricklayers clay, so contact a bricklayer to de if they can point you in the right direction. Failing that try a pottery or ceramics supplier, they use powdered clay all the time. Ask a local potter where they get their supplies. Don’t ask them for fire clay though because to a potter fire clay is a clay that will withstand extremely high (>1300C) temperatures. Ask them for the much cheaper Ball Clay.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X