Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO Do I need a layer of QUIKWALL after porland layer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO Do I need a layer of QUIKWALL after porland layer?

Hi everyone, I just finished adding a scratch coat of 1:3 White Portland to Fine Sand. With a half a shovel of Type S lime in there to slow down curing.

Im going to put a marble mosiac on top of this. Should I put another scratch coat of QUIKWALL stucco? QUIKWALL has fibers in it to stop cracking. Attached is picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screenshot-www.google.com-2021.11.13-18_17_36.png Views:	0 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	443118

Short video link here.
    https://youtu.be/cEvMy9kKXTM
    Last edited by stevef22; 11-14-2021, 06:39 AM.

I would do so yes. I did a home brew base coat. then a scratch nd brown then a final stucco finish. I did not realize about the quickwall. I would have chose that for sure.
    I have small hairline cracks in my un sealed dome. I will seal it asap... and I'm waiting for a day where it will be above 40 and no rain.
    Attached Files
    A Link to my Pompeii Build - " Mountain Mamma" "https://photos.app.goo.gl/bw61eottTZP36cPGA

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The normal procedure is two or three coats of around 3-4 mm thick with 24 hrs between coats. In order to save time I do it in one coat of between 10-15mm thick with the mix enriched with AR fibreglass fibres. I always wrap the whole oven in cling wrap for a week to hold in the moisture. This considerably enhances the strength of anything that has a Portland cement base. Guys rendering houses obviously can't do this, but slow drying is mandatory if possible to hold the moisture in. Rendering should not be done on windy days or if exposed to hot sun. A wet sponge over the surface when finished will take out any tooling marks.
        Last edited by david s; 05-12-2022, 07:49 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          The normal procedure is two or three coats of around 3-4 mm thick with 24 hrs between coats. In order to save time I do it in one coat of between 10-15mm thick with the mix enriched with AR fibreglass fibres. I always wrap the whole oven in cling wrap for a week to hold in the moisture. This considerably enhances the strength of anything that has a Portland cement base. Guys rendering houses obviously can't do this, but slow drying is mandatory if possible to hold the moisture in. Rendering should not be done on windy days or if exposed to hot sun. A wet sponge over the surface when finished will take out any tooling marks.
          Hi David, you mentioned AR fibers.

Will these be ok?

Thank you
          Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 03-26-2023, 04:59 AM. Reason: removed hyper link

Comment

Originally posted by stevef22 View Post

Hi David, you mentioned AR fibers.

Will these be ok?

Thank you
            I'm not sure. The AR glass fibres are coated in zirconium and it's not cheap. Be careful sourcing the fibres as some are called AR, but the zirconium coating is so thin it's not particularly effective. It's probably a case of the more expensive they are the higher the likelihood that they are a quality product. Beware of the cheaper alternative. Try the concrete countertop suppliers.

https://www.buddyrhodes.com/articles...nt-glass-fiber
            Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 03-26-2023, 04:59 AM. Reason: removed commercial hyperlink
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

I'm not sure. The AR glass fibres are coated in zirconium and it's not cheap. Be careful sourcing the fibres as some are called AR, but the zirconium coating is so thin it's not particularly effective. It's probably a case of the more expensive they are the higher the likelihood that they are a quality product. Beware of the cheaper alternative. Try the concrete countertop suppliers.

https://www.buddyrhodes.com/articles...nt-glass-fiber
              Great, thank you for info and link.

Comment

Working...
              X