Getting Started on First Oven Build in NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started on First Oven Build in NC

I appreciate all the experience and expertise folks provide on this forum. I am getting started on my build and would appreciate any feedback on my initial plan. I have a tight space to build the oven. The flatform will be 60" * 60". I have developed a plan that will accommodate a 2'9" interior surface. I welcome any insights or suggestions! Thanks
    Last edited by RSandruck; 01-05-2022, 08:30 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

It will be a great journey.

When I did my oven i was every space constraint, but focused on insulation.
    I decided to make a much shallower gallery entrance, just barely deeper than my chimney diameter and have at least 4 inches of insulation all around the dome.

I am very happy with the temperature performance. When I fire the oven to 900F it is still around 550F 12 hours later (with an insulated 4" thick door).

Also, the shallow gallery makes it much easier to access the inside of the oven.

Just my two cents.
    My oven build thread https://community.fornobravo.com/for...y-32-cast-oven

Comment

2.5" thick firebrick does not have the required strength in the brick courses. Even a brick wall needs the full width (4") of the brick for sufficient strength. Add the thermal expansion cycling and you'd be asking for failures at the brick joints. Cast ovens are somewhat different and many manufacturers make the castings only 2" thick. I agree with Andreas about the shallow entry. A deep entry a per your drawing makes working the oven extremely difficult.
      If the space is tight you may have trouble applying the outer layers. For this reason I hate corner builds.

This is how I've managed to have my oven design sitting on a square footprint rather than using a large area at the front for the gallery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_96631.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	929.7 KB
ID:	443902
      Last edited by david s; 01-06-2022, 01:32 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
      X