Build wfo on patio slab, or on its own adjacent slab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build wfo on patio slab, or on its own adjacent slab

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. Been lurking on here for a little over a year gathering data and making plans.

This spring/early summer I'll be installing a new back yard patio. The slab will be 12' x 24' x 4.5" thick, reinforced with fiber and rebar. On one of the slab's 12' ends, I plan on building a simple 10 ft long outdoor kitchen island, with an inset grill/griddle on one end and a wood fired pizza oven on the other. Knowing the weight of this kitchen will likely be very substantial, I've got a few questions.

Here's my idea so far: I plan on building the kitchen island's frame with welded steel, then adding block/brick to create the walls. Should be a bit lighter than a pure block island. The 32" (~81 cm) inner diameter dome oven on one end will be block and refractory concrete, so the oven portion of the kitchen island will easily weigh a few thousand pounds on its own, I'd suspect. The other side with the grill, substantially lighter.

Our house is in the Salt Lake City area of Utah and receives a substantial amount of both heat and snow. So frost heave is a concern. The frost line is 30-36" deep where I live. So I assume that I will need a foundation under the kitchen island to support it.

Now to the questions.

First, any red flags so far with my thought process?

Next, should I create a concrete block trench foundation under the side of the patio slab where the kitchen island will go? Or should I pour the main patio slab on its own, then pour a smaller, isolated slab adjacent to it for the kitchen island, with a foundation only for that smaller slab? Or should I just pour a thicker reinforced patio slab and put the kitchen island on it with no foundation and just add extra control joints to handle the cracking? Or something else entirely?

Thanks very much in advance. I'm very excited to learn from all of your experience! Can't wait to begin this project!

- Dustin

Foundations are all about ground conditions on your site, have a look at how house or garage slabs are done in your area a copy that. It is always preferable pour a single slab.

Comment

Working...
    X