Foundation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation

I'm in the planning stage of a pizza oven and the place that I want to build it is next to a huge 50+ foot pine tree with lots of surface roots so I won't be able to dig down for a foundation. It's also right up against the 6 foot privacy fence, so if I pour a slab that I stand on to work, I'll be towering over the fence. I could possibly pour it so that I stand on the gravel that's around the tree, but then the blocks will be too close to the edge and might crack the foundation... I also worry about the roots/frost heaving the slab out of level once it's built. Anyone have similar issues that they dealt with or want to give me some advice on best solution?

Most people wouldn't pour a slab over live tree roots. I can't imagine that would end well.
    Maybe build a taller fence?

Comment

I also would consider finding a different location for the oven, if possible. Not a good idea to pour over the roots. I've lived and worked around a lot of pine trees and they are weak, lose limbs and needles, as well as tend to fall over in wind and ice events. Even had a large one fall on our house years ago. Years later, when we moved, I made sure every single one of them was taken out. The only other option I can think of, is having the tree taken out and have the stump/roots ground out.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

So, the place that I have sort of picked out for the oven is about 10-12 feet from the canopy. I should be able to dig down for a foundation and cut any roots in the area without harming the tree too much. I also want to put a prep/workstation area that gets right up to the canopy, but think that area doesn't really need a foundation. I could possibly dry stack the blocks and fill cores but I will probably just use folding tables till I decide if I really need a permanent solution. Cleaning the sap and pine needles off the table will get annoying so may rethink that part of the design.

Thanks for the insight.

Comment

The pizza oven location will be where the wood/metal garden box is sitting. If I build a prep station, it would follow the fence towards the tree but not get under the branches.

Comment

Should be fine then. I don't see any issues that far away the tree, especially a pine tree. Any roots at the surface that far from the trunk shouldn't be substantial.

Comment

Working...
            X