Question about sand form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sand form

I have been going back and forth on whether to make a hard form for my oven or make a sand form. I have access to both sand and red clay. Is the red clay desirable to make the “sand form” ? I would assume so since it gets hard. The sand is mostly dry but there is some with some moisture.

There are so many topics with “sand” and “form” a when searching I have had a hard time trying to find a good thread on this topic.

The advantage of the sand form is that it is easy and fast to create as well as easy to remove.. It only needs to be in place as a temporary form. Making it from clay will introduce problems of the clay shrinking as well as being really difficult to remove. A sand castle allows you to cast in situ rather than having to move the heavy casting and risking damage.Using wet newspaper as a slip layer to stop sand adhering to the cast can result in it slipping, creating folds and exposing tsome of the sand to the castable. You can try a 50/50 mix of water and PVA to hold the newspaper together where the bits overlap, like a really thin paper mache layer that wouldn't be too hard to remove out the oven mouth.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      The advantage of the sand form is that it is easy and fast to create as well as easy to remove.. It only needs to be in place as a temporary form. Making it from clay will introduce problems of the clay shrinking as well as being really difficult to remove. A sand castle allows you to cast in situ rather than having to move the heavy casting and risking damage.Using wet newspaper as a slip layer to stop sand adhering to the cast can result in it slipping, creating folds and exposing tsome of the sand to the castable. You can try a 50/50 mix of water and PVA to hold the newspaper together where the bits overlap, like a really thin paper mache layer that wouldn't be too hard to remove out the oven mouth.

Thanks David, is there a certain type of sand that is recommended?

Comment

The cheapest.
        As almost all kids discovered, making sandcastles works with most sand, but finer sand forms more readily. Around 10% water is about right and the addition of some powdered clay helps it stick together. But that is really not required as it’s a hemisphere you’re making with no undercuts. Some polystyrene fruit boxes or similar piled into the middle reduces required volume of sand.
        Last edited by david s; 02-24-2023, 11:48 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X