Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

soldier course on or next to hearth floor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soldier course on or next to hearth floor??

we are laying the first firebricks today....is there a benefit to having the soldier course on top of the firebrick hearth floor? we've seen the pictures of them next to the floor, but we are wondering if the block can be layed on top of the floor....any help (quickly please!!!) we appreciate

Re: soldier course on or next to hearth floor??

Most lay them on top as it's easier to keep a "circle" than trying to cut your bricks in a perfect circle to lay them "next" to.

I think the majority of builders are placing on top.

Also, no need to mortar the soldier course to the hearth. The weight will keep it in place and allow for a little expansion and contraction.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Comment

Hehe, when I built mine, most people seemd to be putting the bricks round the outside.

... I really don't see that it matters either way, just go for the version that strikes you as being easier.
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

My soldier course is placed around the floor (also, no need to mortar the soldier course to the hearth - gravity takes care of that).

Some claim the oven is more efficient this way. I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why. If there is a difference, it's likely splitting hairs.

Take your pick!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I agree with Ken, it's splitting hairs. I did mine on top.
          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
          Oven Thread

Comment

Working...
          X