New Build Design Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Design Questions

I'm at the design stage for putting an indoor pizza oven in my condo being built in Portsmouth, NH. It's very exciting! The home is currently framed and under construction. My kitchen design calls for a corner pizza oven and I'm trying to validate any assumptions so when we go to build the oven we won't be surprised. The plan is to use a Casa80 kit with a custom dome design around it. I've read through the Pompeii manual and spent some time going through these boards. Below I've summarized some of my high level questions that I'd love to get some help with from people that have experience.

AESTHETICS

1. I understand the idea of using the FB insulation and wire to sculpt the oven into the shape you want. That makes sense for the dome. For the face of the oven if I wanted to shape squared edges for example how would you do that? The pompeii manual suggests using pencil rebar, stucco mesh and filling it with insulating concrete. Does that roughly sound right? As an example of what I'm talking about look at the face of the below oven which would require a lot more sculpting than the Casa80 provides out of the box. I'm asking how to achieve something like that with the Casa80. Would sculpting with additional brick make more sense than the pencil rebar and concrete? How would you insulate this?

2. I think the metal scales on the dome shown in the example look incredible, anyone have experience with something like this or an idea of how you would secure the metal to the dome to achieve it?

STAND

1. The pompei instructions call for concrete blocks for the stand. What would be most appropriate indoors? I assume this would not go on top of the kitchen hardwoods?

2. Does the oven need to be built in place? Or can it be moved onto the stand? Since it's in the corner it's difficult to build in place. I'm trying to figure out if this needs to be installed before the cabinets and what the ordering should be.

VENTING

1. The venting is probably going to require two 90 degree turns to get the vent over to the chimney which is about six away. I'm going to speak with our HVAC tech and the city inspector but wondering if anyone has experience with indoor venting and any pitfalls. I know the vent included in the Casa80 is not supposed to have more than two 30 degree turns so this is pretty concerning. The last thing I want is an oven that can't vent properly with smoke escaping.

2. We're trying to minimize space and so the design we have has nothing built out from the oven landing, The Casa80 has a brick face option, is this just purely cosmetic or does the extended entry help with venting at all and preventing smoke from escaping the oven? My assumption is it's mostly cosmetic and if the vent is working you should be fine?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with everyone!

I don't know how much time you have spent surfing through builds on the forum, but if you can find a build that looks like what you want bookmark it and use it for reference.
    Are you sold on the igloo look for your oven? I've seen several indoor builds that framed in the oven which might make it easier to get it to blend with the kitchen and get the square edges you are after.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by JRPizza View Post
      I don't know how much time you have spent surfing through builds on the forum, but if you can find a build that looks like what you want bookmark it and use it for reference.
      Are you sold on the igloo look for your oven? I've seen several indoor builds that framed in the oven which might make it easier to get it to blend with the kitchen and get the square edges you are after.
      Everything is on the table at this point, so encasing it is certainly something we could revisit. I agree with you it makes things easier. I think we moved off that option because the ceilings are 10 feet and the worry was it would overtake the kitchen. But worth revisiting and I guess we don't need to go up to the ceiling, it's a good call. I've spent a bunch of time looking around on the boards, haven't found anything yet that I'd point to. Haven't found many builds using the Casa80 maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Comment

90 degree bends severely restrict flow and are likely to result in smoke issues, particularly at start up. You will have to introduce an extractor fan in the flue to overcome this problem.
        Last edited by david s; 06-25-2023, 01:58 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

You may want to get in touch with Forno Bravo on the Contact Us link. They have more info on their oven's indoor installations than what you will find on this DIY forum. We've been told by Forno Bravo that they will be encouraging more Forno Bravo Oven installation threads. I really hope that they will find the encouragement for those owners to get more involved on the forum. I'm alerting Alex_FB at Forno Bravo who could be very helpful in your project,
          Last edited by Gulf; 06-25-2023, 07:35 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            You may want to get in touch with Forno Bravo on the Contact Us link. They have more info on their oven's indoor installations than what you will find on this DIY forum. We've been told by Forno Bravo that they will be encouraging more Forno Bravo Oven installation threads. I really hope that they will find the encouragement for those owners to get more involved on the forum. I'm alerting Alex_FB at Forno Bravo who could be very helpful in your project,
            Thanks for the pointer

Comment

Working...
            X