to much fire brick in the floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to much fire brick in the floor?

I am building a tapered barrel oven. I put the recycled fire bricks on thier sides on the floor over 4" if purlcrete. Then I put another layer of 1/2 bricks on top of the that. The old fire brick was a little rough and the new layer is not ....is this over kill, will the floor be to thick for pizza?, take to long to heat?
    berryst
    sigpic

Re: to much fire brick in the floor?

It will take longer to heat up for sure as it will be about 6 inches of mass...it will however give you a longer cool down cycle for baking and roasting...IMHO although you may not get to the 90 second pizza like some ovens will do you will still make some fantastic pizza...better than you might ever expect
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thank you dutch
      In fact if the truth be known I have never had a pizza or any food from a wood fired oven that I am aware of. Haven't seen one live. Haven't even had a homemade pizza in a decade...and it wasn't to good...That's why a decade. So with this vast wood-fired experience I'm building an oven that is a cross between a barrel and igloo....kind of a barrelloo. What the heck am I thinking. Nonetheless there is no turning back now. I will post more pics as this progresses.
      Berryst
      sigpic

Comment

Or maybe an iglarell? ...sounds good anyway, keep going!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

whats this a barreloo
          Last edited by berryst; 07-04-2008, 09:21 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Berry
            Flat front wall curved back...give us some idea of the actual shape...ours is a barrel vault and it can make some great stuff although it can't really maintain the really high heat for true neapolitan pizza for more than about 40 minutes...the oven I will be building for our wood fired pizzeria/bakery/cafe will be somwhat of a hybrid...kind of like a medicine capsule I suppose...have fun with the build...remember we're here to help now and when you get cooking!!!
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
              It will take longer to heat up for sure as it will be about 6 inches of mass...it will however give you a longer cool down cycle for baking and roasting...IMHO although you may not get to the 90 second pizza like some ovens will do you will still make some fantastic pizza...better than you might ever expect
              Best
              Dutch
              My oven holds heat, and holds, and holds, and holds. Last night I tried a modification. I removed one layer of the half thick firebricks on the floor.
              It got pretty hot and seems to work fine and still holds the heat. That means the floor is one brick thick ....one brick of those super hard firebricks
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X