Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with Concrete Counter/Bench top. Ideas for how to fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Concrete Counter/Bench top. Ideas for how to fix this?

HI, The bench/countertop our diy pizza oven sits on is unpolished sealed concrete. All these marks are on the concrete top after the first use. It's a combo of wood ash, charcoal (from curing), tannins from wet wooden handles of pizza tools. We scubbed by hand and pressure washed - both took off a very fine layer of the concrete on the top (in swirls) but did not budge the stains. I'll look into options for cleaning, but I'm thinking we may have made a poor choice with the concrete top. Would it be a bad idea to add another layer of surface to the counter/benchtop now that the pizza oven is installed? Eg tiles Thanks

You might consider a tile layer on top with a colored grout. Obviously, those stains made it past your sealant and penetrated fairly deep into the cement.
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you don't want to tile, you can absolutely sand the stains out pretty easily. I have a concrete prep area next to my oven like yours, but I polished mine to expose some glow in the dark aggregate I added before I troweled it. After using a penetrating sealer I haven't had any issues with stains (knock on wood). There's plenty of info out there for polishing the concrete, but I can try answering any questions you have about the process.

Comment

Working...
      X