we're moving along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we're moving along

we finally got it together and got a web page for our 42" pompeii oven. we are just like everyone else, figuring it out as we go along. we probably shouldn't have gone with full bricks on our soldier course because we had to make a steep adjustment to get our dome started, but it's working out okay. we used firebrick wedges/shims to get fill that first gap and are now tapering bricks as we go. the jig we are using has been an unbelievable help! I can't say enough how glad we are that we stumbled upon that idea. thanks to all who post and offer advice on this forum, it has been a wonderful support!! Picasa Web Albums - carolyn - wood fired oven
    hope the link works, I think you have to copy/paste in browser

Re: we're moving along

Nice collection of pictures! Do you have any images of the jig you mentioned? I'll be entering that phase of the project pretty quickly here, and am very interested.
    Nikki

Comment

let me try to get some good pictures of it, I can't remember where we found the idea.

Comment

Looking good so far, and what a great setting you have there too!
        I like the stone - what finish style are you planning for the dome?

Sarah

Comment

thanks Sarah! we are using field stone we have been finding in our creek and will be using some old brick to form the arch in the oven and the arch for the wood storage. I found enough old roof slate to complete the roof. (someone was actually going to bury it!) We also have several soapstone slabs to form countertops when we get that far along. Those were also headed for a dumpster believe it or not! We are so excited to get this far along and hope to be completed with the oven in September.

Comment

I looked back at some of the (many) saved pages from this forum and pictures under waynebergman photos show a good picture of the jig we are using....

Comment

beautiful!
              soapstone slabs make excellent cooking surfaces...lucky score
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X