Cost Sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost Sheet

I am in the process of determining if this project is for me and I am trying to put the costs together. Has anyone done a cost sheet that they would be willing to share?

Re: Cost Sheet

I think you'll find that costs can vary wildly. The price of firebricks is a large variable, depending on how far you are from where they're manufactured, for example. I'm trading vacation time at our cabin for some products. I'm bargain hunting on craigslist for discounted materials. But you could easily just go down to your local masonry supply, hand over the supply list, and have them load up a truck. It depends on how creative you want to be and how much time you're willing to put into being cheap. ;-)

No matter what, building your own will create valuable sweat equity. Out of curiosity, I priced out what it would cost to have someone build an oven for me. I never intended to let them do it--I'm too enchanted with doing it myself--but I wanted to know what kind of value such an item would add. I got quotes ranging from $15k to $18k for JUST THE OVEN, not the rest of the outdoor kitchen area. If I wanted a pre-cast oven I could bring the price down to $12k. I'm guessing I'm going to spend about $6000 on the entire project, but that includes:
    --pizza oven (covered in stone veneer)
    --4' granite-topped counter wing to the right (covered in stone veneer)
    --9' long low wall to the left to make the new massive grill look built in (covered in stone veneer)
    --4'x11' raised garden bed (covered in stone veneer)
    --fire pit (haven't figured out finish)
    --curved seating wall (haven't figured out finish)
    --about 250sf of pavers
    --brand new mega grill (9'long, includes big grill, 2 side burners, separate griddle, mini fridge, sink)
    --electrical and plumbing brought to the site
    --pergola to shade the dining area

You certainly don't have to spend that much money or start a project so large. But be careful, it's a slippery slope, and you might find yourself dreaming big and enchanted with your ability. ;-)
    Last edited by Modthyrth; 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM.
    Nikki

Comment

The link to my cost sheet is below in my signature line. I tracked my costs up to the completion of the dome. I didn't include the enclosure. My costs are a bit on the high side.

Check out ASUDaveW's costs... His link is at the bottom of all his posts. His costs are amazingly low. Just goes to show how wide a variation the costs can be... You can do this on a very LOW budget or you can spend some bucks.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I'm pretty cheap. One main thing for me was to keep the cost down. This is a bit of a lark for me as I haven't had a homemade pizza in a decade and I've never had a wood fired pizza. So what was I thinking anyway? I thought it looked fun and it is and you get caught up in this thing and meet a lot of nice people who are also caught up in it.
        I bought a mixer for 150
        On Craigslist I found cheap brick
        My total cost was about $450 USD plus the mixer
        My biggest expense was the slab. I rented in a little portable mixer with the mix for 150 for a yard cement. The steel was free for me and the door was free. I you kinda look around you can find deals
        sigpic

Comment

OH...I forgot....Once the oven is done you naturally want to do the outdoor entertainment area....that's next.
          Berryst
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by berryst View Post
            OH...I forgot....Once the oven is done you naturally want to do the outdoor entertainment area....that's next.
            Berryst
            Good point... That's what I'm getting ready to start on! $$$$
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
              Good point... That's what I'm getting ready to start on! $$$$
              Indeed
              .... i think that is the really expensive part!
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Yeh Ken,
                and that's where the oven was a bargain compared to the outdoor kitchen, the surrounding garden, accessories and then there's all that hosting of party after party just to celebrate and show it all off.
                Going through it all now.
                Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                X