Construction Timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Timeline

Hello to all. I am new to this site and will be building an oven in the spring. I originally was going to construct an Alan Scott type oven, but have decided that the Pompei version will be a better fit for my intended use. I have seen and read many accounts regarding the oven construction, but am curious as to how much time I should expect to invest in the project. I would appreciate any input that members are willing to share.

welcome - Construction time is a variable item. Especially if you are a time permitting builder. If you get really on it then it will probably take about a month or two from the first shovel to the placing of the last shingle or tile. I would strongly suggest that you plan on taking your time and going slowly. As a non-builder to date I am planning on about 4 months to build. I figure about 1 week to get the gorund level, one week to lay out the rebar 1 week to pour a foundation. Two weeks for either a block wall or brick. I am leaning toward a round wall using hollow blocks ( we used to call them cinder bloacks back in the day). I will porbably only be able to spend about 10 hours per week on it.

Take a look throughout this forum, there is a plethroa of information here. My personal favorites are, in no particular order, svtlightning, dmun (planning), Musa (look into his web site), Paul Ages (very well documented). Don't rush that is when poor technique and craftmanship will rear its ugly head.

patrick

Comment

if you work every weekend you should be able to get to the point where you have the dome up (without insulation) in about 8 to 10 weeks. (by the way, i lost about 15 pounds over the course of construction [and then gained it back]). after the dome is up, even without the insulation, you can start cooking and then finish the rest of the oven at your leisure.
      my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
      www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

It can be variable

The first time I built an oven, I built the block stand, poured the hearth, laid the floor and assembled the first three rows of a Scott oven. Then we got our permit for a home addition, and I didn't touch the oven for 9 months!

Unlike the garden, where you can plant something small and ignore it while it grows, ovens and other hardscape projects don't keep going by themselves. :-)

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
        X