Need For Footings Or Slab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need For Footings Or Slab

I'm planning a build at a summer cottage in NH and would rather not have to pour a slab. Does anyone have any experience with digging down a foot or so, placing and tamping gravel and then finishing with a 2 inch layer of sand? I installed a stone pathway in this manner and in the winter the snow plow goes over it, so I know it's fairly stable.

Thanks for your help..

Gil Slater

Re: Need For Footings Or Slab

I have moved this to Getting Started.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Need For Footings Or Slab

I poured two footings on a substanial monolith (hard limestone) in my back yard. I anchored the footing to the rock with rebar by drilling 6 inches or so into the rock and inserting a 4 x 12" sections of rebar (4 on each side). I reinforced the footings with rebar, built the froms and poured 8" of concrete in the forms. My rationale was that the monolith on which the foolting is poured is far more stable than a slab prepared on regular ground.
      For my side walls, I used solid concrete lanscape blocks (4 x 12 x 6) purchased at Lowes. They were more expensive, but I liked the look and it saved a lot of time and effort becauce you put together with landscape block cement using a caulking gun.

Comment

Working...
      X