K Fac-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K Fac-19

I've seen a few older threads on the use of K Fac-19 insulation boards. Does anyone have any other thoughts or experience with this board? It is significantly cheaper than the FB boards, and I can buy locally without shipping. $84 for 24 square feet.

This was recommended by the owner of a refractory materials distributor in Detroit.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: K Fac-19

OK, no response. Either no interest in further discussing this product, or no experience. I'll try being more specific with my questions.

Does anyone have any experience using K Fac-19?

I've read this is the same as Insblock-19? I couldn't reliably confirm this, and both products are available, so it makes me wonder. Any thoughts?

My biggest concern is whether this can hold up if it gets wet. I don't want a repeat of the Kaowool problems.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

I used insblock 19- I don't know if they're really the same, but I have one edge sticking out in front of my oven from where I trimmed some bricks back, and it's gotten wet several times. It does not get mushy- it's always a bit soft if you pick at it anyway- but it has good compressive strength under the bricks.

I have kept the whole thing largely covered while I've been working on the oven anyway- a tarp goes on when I'm done for the day.

I got my insblock from a Harbison/Walker outlet near here- they should also have a few other things you need, like fireclay (If you make your own mortar). I made my own to fill in the cracks outside the oven and coat over the whole thing- it works pretty well and it wasn't that bad to work with.

I think Dmun also used the insblock.
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Yes, the lack of response on my part was that I just don't know. You could compare the material data sheets, or you could ask the manufacturers applications engineers: That's the advantage of using industrial products, they are required to provide this kind of information.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If its local, why not ask if you could have little snippet to test? Fling it in a bucket of water and see what happens.
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

K Fac 19, FBX boards, insboard, Kao wool board are all fibrous boards with organic binders. The binders burn out at relatively low temperatures, leaving boards with little strength. These boards are typically not used in applications where compressive strength is required. Moisture will not hurt these boards, but these boards do have the ability to wick up moisture.

Comment

Good info.
              There must be some differences within these boards, however. Many builders have used the Insboard-19 with good results (at least none reported). They seem happy with it. One builder has used the Kao wool board and has had a terrible time with it, turning to mush when wet, losing structural integrity of the arch.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

I am too also wondering about the K-FAC 19 since it is so much cheaper at 4.20 per sq foot!!! The only thing I do know is that K-FAC 19 is known as a "Mineral Block." Thermal conductivity is 0.56 btu-in/hr ft2 at 600 dg F as opposed to 0.48 for the duraboard 350 ES

Comment

Working...
                X