Started my pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started my pizza oven

I was limited in the space i had so my oven floor is 2.5" of concrete and rebar and 3.5" of vermiculite and portland with some rebar. My hearth measures 55" deep by 52" wide. What size oven is recommended with this setup? I need to know the inner diameter of the oven.

Re: Started my pizza oven

You put rebar in the vermiculite? Probably very little harm, but I think you are the first to do it.

In regard to size - I'm seeing around 27 inches ID. 52 - 8 inches for enclosure - 8 inches of insulation - 9 inches for the size of brick = 27 inches. Of course any of the above numbers can be tweaked.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

To max out your hearth, you could try:

1" stucco enclosure (2x1/2")
      6" FB blanket (2x3")
      8" dome (2x4")

That gives you a 52"-15" = 31" oven. Not bad.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

my plan was 52 - 7" for 2x4 framing - 5" insulation 2.5" on each side - 9" for firebrick = 31"

what do you think. Im laying the floor now.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel5455 View Post
          my plan was 52 - 7" for 2x4 framing
          You will have to cover that with something, most likely 1/2 inch Durock - that will add an inch.

You may consider using metal studs - if you rotated them 90 deg. and with proper bracing, it will save you a couple of inches. Another thought is to use 1/3 brick - don't know if anyone has done it but I see no reason why it couldn't work. And one more thought - if all you are after is the elusive pizza, you could skip the insulation altogether. I don't recommend it because I feel that you should get more out of a firing than a couple of pizza's. The difference in labor between a small oven and a 42 inch one is pretty much squat, I would try and squeeze every millimeter that I could out of it.

Just my thoughts - Good luck.

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

i drew a 31" diameter circle and that looked too small. If i go with a 35" inner diameter and leave 3 1/4" on each side for the enclosure and insulation what is the down side to this?

Comment

Hey Daniel,

I think 3 1/2" (3" of FB Blanket and 1/2" for lathe and stucco) works for the enclosure, but don't forget to calculate in the thickness of the oven dome.

If you can find the space for a 35" (internal) oven, rather than the 31", I think you will appreciate the extra space when it comes time to start cooking.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here are some pictures and all i have left on each side is 3.5" I want to frame this out with 2x2 and cover it with durock but i will plaster the dome with vermiculite and portland and then pour loose vermiculite in the open space to cover the dome.

What do you think? what is the temperature supposed to be in the inside for makeing pizza and bread. Also the inner diameter is 34.5" now. I want to make sure before i make this layout perminent if this will work.

thanks for all your help.

Comment

As James said, I'd stay away from wood inside the oven enclosure. If you design your enclosure so that your framing stayed away from the two sides and the back, and you only had the thickness of the cement board next to the oven extremities, you would have more room for insulation.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'll second that (or did I say it first?) -- no wood in the upper enclosure! Use metal studs, where you can offset them from the outer edge of the dome to leave more room for insulation. I've done that myself.

Still, you have to leave space for the ledger board that holds the metal studs together.

For the thinnest possible upper enclosure, stucco and lathe are thinner.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

i just used the wood to show the space but i am using metal studs. I also for got to mention that i have stone surrounding the entire stand so i will use liquid nail and some tapcons to mount the metal stud on top of the stone and then i will have a lot of room from the frame to the oven for the insulation.

Now the mortar

This is the type of refractory mortar i bought.
                      Alsey Refractories Co.: Firebrick, Mortar, Castables, Stain and Private Brand Products

50lb bags.

Is this what i use to put the dome together? Should i mix it with portland cement?

Comment

i just used the wood to show the space but i am using metal studs. I also for got to mention that i have stone surrounding the entire stand so i will use liquid nail and some tapcons to mount the metal stud on top of the stone and then i will have a lot of room from the frame to the oven for the insulation.

Now the mortar

This is the type of refractory mortar i bought.
                        Alsey Refractories Co.: Firebrick, Mortar, Castables, Stain and Private Brand Products

50lb bags.

Is this what i use to put the dome together? Should i mix it with portland cement?

Here is a pic to show the side where the stone is?

Comment

Daniel

I had a little time to play around with a couple of plan options.
                          Drawn to scale, using the bricks on edge, ie. 3" thick wall plus a 3" vermiculite cement insuation layer with a 1/2" stucco layer, you could get a 40" internal oven.
                          Optional shape using a round cornered squarish oven, you would end u with a little more room and it should be relatively easy by cutting a few more bricks to fit better in the cords, a good sized semi-spherical dome as a normal round oven.

Neill
                          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                          Neill’s kitchen underway
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

That squarish dome would look really cool from the inside. Would definitely be unique!
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Daniel...

check your floor pattern from the previous pics- you want to lay a herringbone or diagonal pattern with your floor brick. All of those horizontal joints could cause you to snag your peel.
                              Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X